backspacer

Sep 8, 2019
Hampstead, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, I have a Hayward SP2670010X15 pump that is about 2 years old. Last year the electrical terminal block melted a little and the breaker tripped. I decided then to add a 240v circuit and switch the pump over to 240v. I was able to salvage the terminal block and wires and everything ran perfect for about another year until last week. Breaker tripped and I opened up the electrical hookup box on top of pump and found the big white capacitor burnt, terminal block melted beyond re-use and the other round plastic thing with three wires coming out of it looking rough. What could be causing this and where can I find a replacement terminal block and the other parts? Hayward website has everything but the electrical parts, not even a mention of them. I found the manufacturer of the terminal block (saviplast) but they don't sell to individuals. Can someone point me in right direction?
IMG_3223.jpgIMG_3222.jpg

I don't think you will be able to find all the necessary parts and even if you do, the windings may have burned up. Time for a new motor.

You might try a motor shop and see if they might have the parts. But it could end up costing as much as a new motor.

That pump and motor are using quite a bit of energy. Any desire to save on energy costs? You could go with either a two speed motor or a VS motor add on.

A two speed will save 75% in energy costs while a VS will save about 85% in energy costs.
yes, very much would like to save money ;) I'll look into these. Send anymore recs if you have any. Very much appreciated

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you show the motor label and the pump label and some more pictures of everything?

What exact day was the pump installed?
Don't remember exact day installed but purchased everything from poolwarehouse.com on July 22, 2019 and got the complete pool kit delivered a couple weeks later then started construction. Got water in it and pump up and running sometime in October 2019.
IMG_3072.jpgIMG_3063.jpg

Complete pool kit and pump was installed by me the homeowner and its within 2 days of the two year mark. Prob since it was purchased through poolwarehouse.com as a DIY kit, I'm prob screwed anyway. I never even registered it for warranty purposes like I should have. Live and learn. I'll email them anyway to see what will happen, won't hurt. I'm thinking it may be time to look for a more energy efficiant pump anyway cause running this thing about 10 hours a day is costing about 150.00 per month. Do you have any recs on replacement pumps like the other poster did? Wouldn't hurt to have a few more options

I would downsize the impeller to a SPX2600C, SPX2605C, or a SPX2607C to save money on electricity.

How much flow do you need?

File a warranty claim with Hayward, the retailer and with the motor manufacturer.

Do you have a picture of the motor label?

What is the supply voltage?

What voltage was the pump set for?

1626808490846.png

Last edited:
I would downsize the impeller to a SPX2600C, SPX2605C, or a SPX2607C to save money on electricity.

File a warranty claim with Hayward, the retailer and with the motor manufacturer.

View attachment 356892
originally it was set for 110 and as stated earlier in the thread it burnt up part of the terminal block and tripped the breaker about a year ago. At the beginning of this season, I added a new 230 circuit with 10gauge wire and rewired it for 230 hoping it was just an issue with high current since 230 would drop the current in half and been working great till a few days ago when this happened again but much worse. I'm an electronic engineer by trade. Don't have a pic of the motor label but I can get one if you need it

View attachment 356892
dont know exactly how much flow I need but the kit with all the parts was configured by poolwarehouse.com for the pool they designed and shipped to me. 12000 gallon, 1.5" piping, pump about 28-30' from pool and pump inlet is about 24-30" above the pool water level

Don't have a pic of the motor label but I can get one if you need it
That might help.

But, do it today to beat the deadline.

Run the motor by a local electric motor shop to get an estimate for repair.

I would downsize the impeller to a SPX2600C, SPX2605C, or a SPX2607C to save money on electricity if you want a single speed pump or you can switch to a variable speed pump motor.

Impeller...........Total HP required.
SPX2600C............0.60
SPX2605C............0.75
SPX2607C............1.10
SPX2610C............1.50
SPX2615C............2.00

1626811923806.png
1626811771947.png

Hate to say it but most likely the cause of your problem was because of a loose connection on the feed wire, not a component failure. You can try warranty but by looking at the picture I can just about say with certain that the top terminal had the loose connection, thats why its melted more there than anywhere else. You will need to replace the feed wire also. Once wire or any component of the electrical system becomes overheated it will never be able to conduct current efficiently and WILL overheat again.

I'm thinking it may be time to look for a more energy efficiant pump anyway cause running this thing about 10 hours a day is costing about 150.00 per month. Do you have any recs on replacement pumps like the other poster did? Wouldn't hurt to have a few more options
Are you sure about that? How much do you pay in electricity? Your pump uses about 1500 watts and 10 hours per day and 30 days is 450 kwh. $150/mo would be $0.33/kwh. Those are California rates! I didn't think they were that high in NC. At $0.11/kwh, it should be around $50/mo. But at even that, the VS at 1250 RPM and 25 GPM (same 10 hrs per day) would cost about $2.50/mo. 20:1

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.