Pump died, need help picking a new one

May 26, 2013
Ottawa, On, Canada
TLDR:
1) Is the Hayward Power Flo Matrix still a good pump? If not what else should I look for?
2) If I already have a timer installed on the circuit is there any point in getting the two-speed version of the pump?

Long Story:
When we got our pool about 7 years ago, it came with a Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1.5 HP 2-speed pump. Last year the two-speed function died. The pump worked but only ran at full speed. I contacted a local repair place and they said that this was common and that it wasn't worth trying to fix it. So instead I installed a timer on the circuit and run the pump and SWG full speed for 10 hours at night and off during the day. This worked great all year keeping the water in excellent shape. Unfortunately last night I went to get something from the yard and noticed it was strangely quiet. I checked the pool and the pump was off, the SWG was still running so power to the circuit was good but nothing from the pump. I checked the switch on the pump, nothing. Tried a new outlet, nothing. The pump was even warm still so I think it must have just died. Given that the 2-speed function had gone last year I suspect that it's probably just died and I doubt there's much point in trying to fix it.
So my plan had been to replace the pump with a new 1.5 hp Power Flo Matrix so that all my plumbing lines up and I don't need to make any major modification. Is it still a good pump or is there something else I should consider instead?
Also, I now have a timer on the circuit so is there any point in getting the two-speed version for an extra $50?

TLDR:
1) Is the Hayward Power Flo Matrix still a good pump? If not what else should I look for?
2) If I already have a timer installed on the circuit is there any point in getting the two-speed version of the pump?

Long Story:
When we got our pool about 7 years ago, it came with a Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1.5 HP 2-speed pump. Last year the two-speed function died. The pump worked but only ran at full speed. I contacted a local repair place and they said that this was common and that it wasn't worth trying to fix it. So instead I installed a timer on the circuit and run the pump and SWG full speed for 10 hours at night and off during the day. This worked great all year keeping the water in excellent shape. Unfortunately last night I went to get something from the yard and noticed it was strangely quiet. I checked the pool and the pump was off, the SWG was still running so power to the circuit was good but nothing from the pump. I checked the switch on the pump, nothing. Tried a new outlet, nothing. The pump was even warm still so I think it must have just died. Given that the 2-speed function had gone last year I suspect that it's probably just died and I doubt there's much point in trying to fix it.
So my plan had been to replace the pump with a new 1.5 hp Power Flo Matrix so that all my plumbing lines up and I don't need to make any major modification. Is it still a good pump or is there something else I should consider instead?
Also, I now have a timer on the circuit so is there any point in getting the two-speed version for an extra $50?

Hello fellow Ottawa dweller! I don't have an expert opinion on pool pumps, but I know we are just running down the clock on our single speed pump and when it goes we will be looking to replace it with a variable speed. We bought the place 2 years ago and I have no idea how old most of the equipment is. I'm thinking the salt cell, pump and heater will probably all need replacing sooner than later. $$$$$$$

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

The power consumption of electric motors isn't linear. While pumping at half speed, the pump consumes closer to one fourth the power.

I swapped my single-speed pump on a timer for a programmable VS unit. It's quieter, I can program to do exactly what I want and it uses a fraction of the power.

It may last a lot longer too. No regrets!

Reactions: Chickinvic
Hello,

I posted yesterday about my pump dying, and I had another question. I called my local pool store and they no longer stock the Hayward Power Flo Matrix (which I had been hoping use) and now they sell the Turbo Flo II. How do these pumps compare. It looks like the Turbo Flo II is $50 more (vs getting the Power Flo Matrix online). The advantages that I can see is:
it's easier to clean the leaf filter
it's much easier to service (according to the manual),
I can get i locally tomorrow and support my local pool store

The advantage of the power flo matrix:
It's $50 cheaper
Minimal re-plumbing needed as it has both side and top discharge options whereas the turbo flo II is only top discharge

Does anyone else have anything else I should know about these pumps?

Also I asked this last time but thought I'd ask again. If I already have a timer installed is there any advantage of getting a 2-speed pump?
i.e. I can run 12 hrs full speed and 12 hrs off vs 18 hrs low speed and 6 hrs high speed. It's more or less the same energy usage and it means I can save $50 when buying the pump.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.