Pump died need advice/recommendations on replacement pump

Dolfan

May 30, 2018
Central Florida
Hello all!

My pump died a glorious death a few days ago. It sounded like a 747 loaded with Chimpanzees taking off. I took it to my local dealer and they said that with all the parts that need to be replaced it would be $470.00. In fairness to them it was in pretty bad shape and Im surprised it lasted as long as it did. The pump is a Pentair 1hp Whisperflo (WF-24). Should I just get the same pump for simplicities sake or are there recommendations for another pump that would be a better "bang" for the buck? I figured I would ask the forum before I dropped the money and ordered the same thing.

D,

Since you have a SWCG, I would go for a Whisperflo 2-speed pump, or if the pump itself is OK, I would install a 2-speed motor.

If your pool is like mine, you have to run the pump for some time to generate the chlorine your pool needs.. Doing this on low speed will save you about 75% of your current cost to run the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You’re going to get an overwhelming response in favor of a variable speed pump. (VS) The up front cost will be offset by the money you will save on electricity.
Or as Jim has mentioned, a 2 speed pump. I’m more of a fan of the VS pumps, due to the ability to dial in speeds and run times without the need for an external timer.
Another plus for the VS pump, is it will save its memory if a power failure occurs. Unlike a mechanical timer that will need to be reset. :cheers:

You’re going to get an overwhelming response in favor of a variable speed pump. (VS) The up front cost will be offset by the money you will save on electricity.
Or as Jim has mentioned, a 2 speed pump. I’m more of a fan of the VS pumps, due to the ability to dial in speeds and run times without the need for an external timer.
Another plus for the VS pump, is it will save its memory if a power failure occurs. Unlike a mechanical timer that will need to be reset. :cheers:

Thank you both for the responses. I looked at the VS pumps and was a bit lost. What should I be looking at that would work for me?

Thank you!

It does not appear you have automation.

If not, then you could use a Pentair Superflo VS. You would retain your timer for your SWCG. The pump has its own timer/scheduler so you would use the timer for the SWCG to be sure it is only powered on when the pump is scheduled to run.

I believe your plumbing should fit without modification, but check that to be sure. Do use pump unions when installing the new pump.

FYI - in 2021 the sale of single speed pool pumps will be ended by a Federal regulation.

It does not appear you have automation.

If not, then you could use a Pentair Superflo VS. You would retain your timer for your SWCG. The pump has its own timer/scheduler so you would use the timer for the SWCG to be sure it is only powered on when the pump is scheduled to run.

I believe your plumbing should fit without modification, but check that to be sure. Do use pump unions when installing the new pump.

FYI - in 2021 the sale of single speed pool pumps will be ended by a Federal regulation.

Considering I am not sure what you mean by "automation" its a pretty good guess I do not, LOL. I looked into the Superflo and there appears to be just one model. Is that correct? I found the Superflo VS #342001. Just want to make sure that is the one you are referring to. Thanks again!

Only one model. It is full rated for 1.5 hp but that does not really matter. Variable speed is variable hp. You just use what you need.

You wire the pump directly, not through a timer. That pump can be 115V or 220V.

You may be able to run it at lower speeds for your SWCG then program a higher speed schedule, if needed, to power your suction cleaner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to everyone here. I went ahead and installed the Pentair Superflo VS yesterday. Runs like a champ and super quiet! Thank you all for the great advice and suggestions. I have one question. What would be the ideal settings to program it with as far as speeds and time? This is all new to me. Thank you again! You guys rock!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.