Pump died. Is 1.5HP overkill?

GenericHbomb

Oct 3, 2015
Rochester, NY
Had a feeling it was coming for some reason. Went out today to check on the pool and the pump is dead. Did all the checks to make sure it was the pump and not some other cause.

Currently have a 1.5 hp Hayward pump. Not sure on the exact model but its old.

Reading on pump sizing and all of that, I have only a single 1.5" intake line to the pump which puts my maximum possible flow rate at 42 GPM. Given that case, and assuming I have a normal head loss, would I be okay in dropping to a 1hp pump to save some energy? Am I thinking about this correctly.

You can probably just replace the motor. Be sure to check on the impeller size if you change the motor hp.

Call Inyopools in the morning and talk to them.

Keep adding your chlorine and mixing the pool water every day.

I stand corrected. Went out to get a picture of the motor so I could call in the morning and it is a 1.0hp pump. 1081 emerson pool motor.

You answered my follow up as well which was what do I need to do to get by till the replacement is in. Put an extra half gallon in and will keep stirring and skimming as much as possible.

If you want to stay with single speed, get it now. In a year or so you will not be able to buy single speed pool pumps over 1.1 hp anymore.

Pump is on the way. Shipped it overnight!
Thanks for the help everyone.

Decided to go new pump setup instead of motor replacement through INYO for the fact that the whole assembly is old and hate the current lid setup.
Looking forward to the energy savings!

By the time I install it I will have gone about 60 hours with no filtering.
All three days will have been hot and sunny.

I am dropping another gallon of bleach in tonight to keep the FCs bumped up higher than normal and skimming/brushing twice a day to keep the water circulating a little bit.

Will do an OCLT test once I am back up and running. Hoping I do not need to go back into SLAM. Never gone this long without filtering before so am not sure how much of an impact I will really see.

Reactions: mknauss
Was pulling the old pump out today and taking it apart in the sunlight. Realized I had a corroded wire. Must have missed it in the dark. Ran to lowes and $20 later the old pump is back up and running.

Returning the new one to Dohenys on Friday. Was looking forward to the new
pump but all is well.

Still disappointed lost four days of the pool for that but pool is relatively clean and levels are okay. Will let the pump run 24/7 for a couple days and I should be okay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.