Pump Died. I think...

Oct 4, 2016
Littleton, MA
Short version:
My pump tripped the breaker and will not turn on. I inspected and then replaced the wiring coming to the pump, but it still won’t turn on. It doesn’t make any sound or anything, just immediately trips the breaker.

Longs version:
About a month ago, I noticed the pump was off when it should have been on. Checked the breaker (pump has its own dedicated breaker) and found that the breaker had tripped. I reset it and it worked fine for a week or so. Then it tipped the breaker again. I reset again and it worked for a few days... then it happened again. Only this time it wouldn’t reset. It just tripped again immediately. I came back a little later and after a few flicks of the breaker switch it came on.... for a day or so. It tripped again and since then I haven’t been able to get it to come back on.

I pulled the back of the housing on the pump off and the wiring was pretty brittle. Casing on the wires is dry and had broken off in places exposing the copper wire. I figured this had caused a short or something so I redid the wiring. No change since then, it immediately trips the breaker as soon as I turn the power on.

Is the pump fried? Any other thoughts? Can I just replace the motor?

I bought the house three years ago so I have no idea how old the equipment is. Pool was built in about 1982. 7568C7E4-307A-4358-B454-F0DC123D4B8B.jpegE2600D77-CC23-4701-B1C9-5CA98557DE86.jpegB2ABAFF0-A056-4FDF-B93C-C6169EB4FB3E.jpeg

I will let others guide you on troubleshooting ---

You can start researching a replacement motor. Call Inyopools with the pump (wet end) data and see what they have. I would suggest considering a two speed motor. A bit more money up front but will save you quite a bit of electricity.

Reactions: Chickinvic
Also -- keep adding liquid chlorine daily. Use your brush, swim, etc to mix it in.

WITH THE BREAKER TO THE PUMP OFF - see if you can turn the impeller/motor shaft by hand. If something is binding in the motor, then it will quickly overload the motor and cause the breaker to trip.

Another possibility is the start capacitor. That's the black cylinder on the left side of your first photo if you're not familiar with them. That is an easy and relatively inexpensive (usually less than $50) component to replace. Your local pool store likely has it in stock if you don't want to order it more cheaply online and wait. Ask if you can return it if that doesn't fix the issue.

If you decide to go that route, make sure you discharge the capacitor or you could end up with a nasty shock if it's still good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.