Pump blowed up

Jul 2, 2014
Hudson, wi
It has been a fun year....first my main drain breaks, got it plugged off and running off just the skimmer....now my pump is done, the housing split wide open. Most of this stuff is around 20 years old so it is time to refurb everything, just not a good time with it being the middle of summer and the supply being so bad. For now I am going to try and get a used pump to get me through for a season or 2 if it is in good shape while we save for a liner/piping replacement/ basically a complete rebuild. My question is where is the best place to go for the fittings I am going to need to put a different pump in place? Will Menards/HD have this stuff or do I need to just go to a pool store? My pump/filter housing has female threads connecting it to my Jandy valve and female threads going to my sand filter, 2" in and maybe 1.5" out using the flex hose to the filter. Been a fun summer.....almost ready to just shut it down....Thanks

FYI, the current pump is cracked top to bottom, I tried to us a plastic glue on it with no luck, had a bunch of small leaks in it still. I even pulled the motor and the impeller is on and tight so I am not sure why it gave out last night....pressure was running normal.

Material fatigue and vibration from the running motor probably got the best of it. 20 years is a lot of sun exposure! You should be able to find most of what you need at a hardware store, although some pumps do have proprietorial connections. It depends on the brand and age, I think.

yes, I can see many hairline cracks starting, it is just old and brittle.....it has never seen the sun, I am buried in the trees, my main struggle is keeping any heat in my pool. Old age has caught up with it like it has me, my knees don't like having to get down and work on it much anymore. Thanks for the reply.

My glue job on the outside did not work, I didn't think it would so then I pulled the pump off and added some marine adhesive I had around and glued it from the inside....pretty sure this would have worked for a while but I found a different pump. I got a waterway Power Defender 140....my firts variable speed pump....now I am in the process of figuring it out and I am getting close. I just wish there was a way to change the preset speeds so I could just go over and press say 3 and it would kick into high so I have enough pressure for the slide. I also need to get the RPM settings tweaked so that my heater stays going, it was just on the edge of not having enough flow for that. Overall once I get this dialed in I think I will really like it....the only thing I replaced when I installed it was the high presssure flex line from the pump to the filter....it was leaking before so no big deal, quick trip to the pool store since they have the right fittings and it was done and working great. Now to stock up on salt, this drought has so much water evaporating from my pool I can hardly keep up even with the cover on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.