Pump and Pressure Line Both Won't Shut Off

TinyLasagna

Jan 17, 2020
Houston, TX
I have been having this issue for a bit now. My filter and pressure line for the vacuum are both on (run on same pump), without me turning the pressure line on. I can't get the pressure line to turn off, from the outside or inside controller. I am also having the same issue with the filter, where it can't be turned off via either controller, the only way to get them to turn off is by killing the breaker. Only the pump is on a timer, but even manually, if I turn the pump on, the pressure line comes on as well.

I assume it's a relay issue somewhere on the outside panel, but does anyone have any info that could help? I can provide detailed info on equipment when I get home from work, but I would appreciate some help, if possible. Thanks everyone.

TL,

It would also help if you posted a few pics of your equipment pad...

I am not sure what you mean by pressure line? Do you have a pressure side cleaner that runs without a booster pump?

If you have a single speed pump, then I agree with you that it appears that the relay that controls the pump is always closed.. Could be a bad relay or something telling the relay to close.

Thanks,

Jim R.

TL,

It would also help if you posted a few pics of your equipment pad...

I am not sure what you mean by pressure line? Do you have a pressure side cleaner that runs without a booster pump?

If you have a single speed pump, then I agree with you that it appears that the relay that controls the pump is always closed.. Could be a bad relay or something telling the relay to close.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, I have a pressure side cleaner that runs without booster pump. Sorry. I'm not well versed with this pool stuff. Only had the house for a year and haven't learned all the intricacies yet.

TL,

Your automation is in the Service mode and the filter/pump is on.. It will stay in this mode forever unless you change it.

It needs to be in the Auto mode.

Press the button below where it says Auto, Service, Time Out, until it changes to Auto..

Thanks,

Jim R.

TL,

Your automation is in the Service mode and the filter/pump is on.. It will stay in this mode forever unless you change it.

It needs to be in the Auto mode.

Press the button below where it says Auto, Service, Time Out, until it changes to Auto..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have it in service mode purposely, to override the timer-programming. I shocked the pool due to the storm that hit Houston a few weeks back. So I'm letting the pump run. So that is not the issue, I wish it were that simple :rolleyes:

TL,

Does the pump shut off if you push the pump/filter button? I assume not..

If you have any unused relays, I suggest that you replace the Pump/Filter relay and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks,

Jim R.

TL,

Does the pump shut off if you push the pump/filter button? I assume not..

If you have any unused relays, I suggest that you replace the Pump/Filter relay and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It does not shut off. The problem happens intermittently though. Sometimes it acts normal, and will shut off with the buttons pressed. But the pressure line/vacuum and filter continue to run simultaneously, whereas before, I could control both.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It does not shut off. The problem happens intermittently though. Sometimes it acts normal, and will shut off with the buttons pressed. But the pressure line/vacuum and filter continue to run simultaneously, whereas before, I could control both.

Which button do you press to control the cleaner? Ray-Vac?

They are using the AUX1 Cleaner function to turn an actuator connected to the Cleaner actuator socket. That actuator has stopped working. Show us ALL of your plumbing.

Do you have a spa? That actuator on top of your pump may be what is not working.

Last edited:
Which button do you press to control the cleaner? Ray-Vac?

They are using the AUX1 Cleaner function to turn an actuator connected to the Cleaner actuator socket. That actuator has stopped working. Show us ALL of your plumbing.

Do you have a spa? That actuator on top of your pump may be what is not working.

I will post more pics of the plumbing tomorrow. I do have a spa.

Sorry, again, I'm not too well versed with the pool stuff yet. Have LOTS to learn.

If trying to repair the actuator is beyond your ability then a new one costs around $150 if you can install it or about twice that if you call a Pool Service to do it.

Here is a picture of the rest of the plumbing. I've got an oil change and some painting to do before I can get to the pool troubleshooting.

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_082201.jpg
    IMG_20200118_082201.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200118_082149.jpg
    IMG_20200118_082149.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200118_082153.jpg
    IMG_20200118_082153.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 6
Tiny,

Sounds like you have two problems to me... Having the pump only shut off with the circuit breaker is not going to be caused by any of the valves... Having water go to the wrong place at the wrong time is not going to be caused by the pump...

Both could be caused by a failed automation system...

I would troubleshoot one problem at a time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.