Pump and heater on the same 50amp line?

Oct 11, 2017
Lutz/fl
I'm replacing the old Heat pump and 120v pump with whats listed below. I have a 50 amp breaker but will now need to run the motor on the same line as the heater. Will it work?

Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump, 3 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified
Electrical Specifications Circuit Protection: Two-pole 20 AMP device at the Electrical Panel. Input: 230 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 3200 Watts, 1 phase

Pentair UltraTemp 140 Pool Heat Pump 460934

50amp breaker 1 phase 230v

No you can not run them both on the same line.

Did you have a heat pump that big before? If not you may need a new heavy duty service cable just for that heat pump. That heat pump is going to pull around 45 amps while running you need to make sure the cable feeding it is large enough so you don't have a voltage drop issue which will void your warranty.

No you can not run them both on the same line.

Did you have a heat pump that big before? If not you may need a new heavy duty service cable just for that heat pump. That heat pump is going to pull around 45 amps while running you need to make sure the cable feeding it is large enough so you don't have a voltage drop issue which will void your warranty.

The original heater was a 100k btu with a min circuit ampacity of 31.2A and max breaker of 50a.

Min ampacity of the new heater is 43.

How was the 120v pump fed? Might be able to switch that circuit to 230v.
If not then keep the 50 for new heat pump and run new 230v 20amp for pump.

YoYou were on to something there’s a sub panel back there with two 120s that they’ll convert to 220 for the new pump. I somehow didn’t see that panel until the pavers guys cut into the pool light conduit and we had to test the lights. Thanks all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.