Pump and filter appear mismatched.

Mattsway

Bronze Supporter
Apr 10, 2017
Sussex UK
Just checking everything now that I've found this site!

My pump is a Hayward with a flow of 14.5 cu m/hour which I make out to be 64gpm.
My Multicyclone 12 Plus max flow is 9.1 cu m/hour or 40gpm max.

Given that I read here, that best flow for a cartridge filter is 75% max it looks like my pump has over twice the flow recommended for my filter.

The filter pressure reads 16psi with a maximum of 50psi stated in the manual (not sure if this is relevant)

The water looks good and bather load on this indoor hydrotherapy pool is only ever myself, my wife and our son, twice a week for an hour and a half each session. I cleaned the filter last season and didn't see any obvious damage.

The pool was put in 20 months ago, so should I ask for a slower pump, or bigger filter or continue as is? Perhaps I could just ask them to swap the pump motor or impeller?

How do you know it is 64gpm? Is that based on the pump manual, or did you physically measure it?

I don't think the additional flow would hurt the filter. It just may not filter effectively.

But your own experience says it cleans just fine. Also, it is indoors, so it isn't getting pollen, leaves, dust, dirt, etc. This is what the filter is primarily filtering out. You're good.

If you leave it, you will likely be just fine (being indoors is helpful).

If you wanted to make you system better, upgrade your filter to about the biggest you can afford but at least 80 gpm rated.

Your indoor pool ia not subjected to the dirt load that an outdoor pool so that larger filter may need to be cleaned only once each year. That said, your current filter may be able to handle the load just fine anyway.

So, even though your system is not perfect, an indoor pool is much more forgiving and you can just leave things alone........that's what I would do if it were mine

This is a big relief, thank you both. The flow rate is on a metal plate on the motor housing. Next pay cycle I will definitely be subscribing. Even at this early stage of learning I've had my money's worth and then some!

The flow rate on the metal plate isn't your specific flow rate. Your actual flow rate will depend heavily on your plumbing.

Edit: just saw your sig. I can't believe they installed a 1hp pump on a 2700 gallon pool!! (No, it won't hurt anything. But it's probably costing you a ton of money for no reason)

I seem to remember them saying that, as it's a hydrotherapy pool, it needed a fast turnover in case of "accidents". Actually, it was whilst searching here, trying to work out my optimal pump runtime, that I realised my pump and filter weren't matched. Back to the maths! I'm also looking to confirm that I don't need the dehumidifier running constantly, if you might know? I thought, just when the cover is off and for a while longer after it's back on after a swim?

I'm also looking to confirm that I don't need the dehumidifier running constantly, if you might know? I thought, just when the cover is off and for a while longer after it's back on after a swim?
Run it as much as you need to keep the humidity under control. Does it have a humidistat so it keeps a certain humidity constantly?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.