Pumice OK on pool plaster?

outplayist

May 14, 2015
New Orleans, LA
I'll keep this simple, since I couldn't find a direct answer anywhere else on the site:

Is it OK to use a pumice stone to clean a plaster pool surface? Not tile, grout, coping - but the actual plaster surface of the pool.

The long version:
Almost 2 year old pool. Builders back-filled our lot with crappy, sandy soil. Wind blows sand into pool and it settles on the surface and sits there, and is a huge pain to remove. It won't come off for the Polaris, regular vacuuming, or brushing with a nylon brush. Pumice stone takes it right off. It's definitely sand - I've gotten up close and personal with it - and it looks like it just settles into the microscopic holes in the plaster. I know there shouldn't be any holes or roughness to the plaster, but thats another story entirely.

Thanks in advance!
Chelsea

outplayist

May 14, 2015
New Orleans, LA
It's fine to do it, but it makes a huge mess with all the pumice dust settling on the floor. And the blocks don't last very long.
Drywall sanding screen has the same problems.
Thanks! I have experience with that mess from pumicing our waterline tiles last summer. Went through a case of scouring sticks and never vacuumed that pool so much in my life! Thankfully it's not a huge area I have to do, so it'll be worth it to just get it done in a weekend and do a really good vacuum afterwards.