Pulling a new pool light thru conduit...

RASelkirk

Jul 11, 2015
Port Neches, TX
Hi All,

My pool light fixture (spa sized) has a tiny leak and trips the GFI breaker. It's not the lens gasket, I can remove the fixture, swab out the tiniest bit of moisture, and reassemble it only to get one run before it quits. My thought is, on cool-down after turning it off, the fixture creates a slight vacuum which pulls in a smidge of water, just enough to kill it for next time. I'd like to swap over to a new LED color switching lamp.

The pool is 25 years old, the current 120v cable is run in PVC. I've looked for videos on problems pulling new cable thru old conduit, but all I see is how simple and easy it is to do. Pool repairman thinks it could be a nightmare and now I'm worried the old cable won't budge.

Any tips or tricks to get it done? Also, the spa sized LED lamp reviews are all mediocre to horrible. Any preference on the lamp unit?

Thanks!

Russ

YES Allen.. those are awesome links.. I read them over and over and and was just getting ready to embark on a DIY adventure...
then I decided to just service my pool lights after not using them for years.
Try this...
-pull the light out of the niche, open up the fixture and let it sit in the sun to let it dry out real well.
-lower the back end of the enclosure into a bucket of water or figure out a way to prop it up in the pool and let it set for a few hours..
-look for evidence of water intrusion into the fixture's enclosure
-If the GFCI doesn't pop when you turn on the switch the connection between the wire and the fixture is probably still good.

if it doesn't fill with water the issue is likely not with your enclosure but with the gasket. I thought for sure my enclosures were toast until I tested them out.. got new gaskets and now they are working just fine with new bulbs. I couldn't seem to justify the cost difference between just servicing what I had and new fixtures, LED options are even more expensive at this point. Perhaps they will get cheaper down the road.

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks for the reads! My builder has my floor repairs scheduled for Sept first, so I've got time to wrack on it and see if it moves. I'd love to have an LED but don't feel comfortable with the poor reviews. I'll spend more time looking at normal "white" lights after seeing if it's pullable...

Thanks!

Russ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.