Pros and cons of having a diving board for an 8 ft deep-end swimming pool. Your thoughts?

nlpoolfam

Mar 29, 2022
Spokane Valley
We are soon to begin the process of having our 18x36 vinyl-lined swimming pool installed. We waffle back and forth about having a diving board. The deep end will be 8 feet deep. We would be so grateful if you would please share your thoughts and experiences with having a diving board. I worry about someone hurting themselves but I'm a worry wart at heart. My husband has no concerns about a board and believes we would miss not having one.

We did not get a diving board for the very same reason that you’re worried about it. Our pool builder tried to convince us that if we didn’t have one people would jump off the side. He was right, they do. I don’t think I would have made a different decision though because I think fewer people jump off the side than would jump off a diving board. On the other hand, we do not have teenagers in our life so we’re not seeing the super risky behavior. If you do, you’ll probably see a lot of people jumping off the side

Reactions: nlpoolfam
When we were designing the pool and looking at things from all angles, our insurance agent wanted to know if it would have one or not. Without one, the whole does my existing insurance cover the pool became a total non-issue. In addition to many orher things to consider, maybe check with your insurer to see if they increase the premium and if so how much.

Reactions: nlpoolfam
When we were designing the pool and looking at things from all angles, our insurance agent wanted to know if it would have one or not. Without one, the whole does my existing insurance cover the pool became a total non-issue. In addition to many orher things to consider, maybe check with your insurer to see if they increase the premium and if so how much.
That’s one of the reasons why we don’t have one. Our rates would have gone way up. The insurance company also would have raised the rates for a slide. Also the pool has to be designed to allow for a diving board. It’s not just a matter of the depth, but the slope from the shallow end to the deep end, has to be fairly dramatic and you loose a lot of shallow end. At some point before we bought our house the pool did have a diving board.

Last edited:
I guess it's too late to redesign the pool. If I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't have a deep end. I would have a sports pool because it was far more likely people wanted to play volleyball or basketball than they were to dive into the deep end.

I guess it's too late to redesign the pool. If I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't have a deep end. I would have a sports pool because it was far more likely people wanted to play volleyball or basketball than they were to dive into the deep end.
Personally I like having a deep end. I still like to do cannon balls off the side, when my wife and kids are least expecting it… a deep end is a must for me. It’s what I think of when I think of a pool.

Reactions: Kellyp and Newdude
We love our diving board and deep end. We push the kids to learn to dive shallow, which they do now everywhere you go. I still do flips off the board at 56 years old. Compared to other pools I've been in, the deep end seems to keep the pool water cooler. I was told more people get hurt on slides than diving boards but I have no data to back that up :)

Reactions: Orion7319
a deep end is a must for me. It’s what I think of when I think of a pool
I don't like having any shallow end at all. If we could touch bottom while swimming when growing up, it meant we didn't take the boat out far enough. With all the water-skiing and whatnot we did behind the boats, deeper water was a must.

I don't like having any shallow end at all. If we could touch bottom while swimming when growing up, it meant we didn't take the boat out far enough. With all the water-skiing and whatnot we did behind the boats, deeper water was a must.
Exactly! I haven’t been water skiing in a long time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You must have had a mighty big pool! ;)

Reactions: Newdude
We love our diving board, but our deep end is 9.5’. My kids are all grown, but they still like to dive and turn flips when they come over to swim. I still enjoy diving, too, but after 3 back surgeries, flips are in my past. 🙂

We did not get a diving board for the very same reason that you’re worried about it. Our pool builder tried to convince us that if we didn’t have one people would jump off the side. He was right, they do. I don’t think I would have made a different decision though because I think fewer people jump off the side than would jump off a diving board. On the other hand, we do not have teenagers in our life so we’re not seeing the super risky behavior. If you do, you’ll probably see a lot of people jumping off the side
Thank you so much for your input!

Great info. Thanks for your input!

I must be doing something wrong as I thought I replied to you so please forgive if this is a repeat; however, I wanted to be sure and thank you. Great input and perspective. Thanks!

We are soon to begin the process of having our 18x36 vinyl-lined swimming pool installed. We waffle back and forth about having a diving board. The deep end will be 8 feet deep. We would be so grateful if you would please share your thoughts and experiences with having a diving board. I worry about someone hurting themselves but I'm a worry wart at heart. My husband has no concerns about a board and believes we would miss not having one.
Thanks everyone, for your input! I so appreciate your sharing! I tried to reply to everyone but I don't quite "get" this forum and the way the response option works (software is not my strong suit). Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Great info. Thanks so much for sharing!

Reactions: SoDel

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.