Proper timing with SWG

hagani

Jul 17, 2018
Robbinsville, NJ
I had an old mechanical timer on the pump that was running 4 hours a day (8am-12pm) with SWG set at 40% and never had a problem with amount of chlorine in the pool. The only downside was that by the time I get home after work around 7pm there some leaves on the surface of the water that accumulates between 12pm when pump shuts off and 7pm.

So recently I upgraded to Dewenwils Outdoor Wi-Fi Smart box and set timers to run the same 4 hours a day but on the schedule 7am-8-am / 12pm-1:00pm/ 4pm-5pm/ 9pm-10pm

After running the pump on this schedule for about 10 days amount of chlorine generated ( or should I just say "in the pool" ) by SWG dropped more than twice.

Can someone explain please why this is happening? I know I can run pump longer or can increase output on SWG from 40% to lets say 60%.

But I just would like to understand why amount of chlorine had such a drop considering that SWG works same 4 hours a day.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

From https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...al_Version_3_units_after_Nov_2011_English.pdf

40% Produces chlorine for 106 seconds of each 5 minute period. See page 8.

In 4 hours of continuous running you have about 48 generating periods.

When you turn the SWG for on and off in one hour periods you reset the internal cycle. When your timer starts up the pump needs to prime and the SWG needs to see flow before it starts up with the flow switch.

You are losing a few generation periods while the cell starts up and when it stops. Rather then getting 12 generating periods in an hour you may be getting 8 or 9. That can reduce the CL output by 20%-30%.

If you want to run the IC40 that way up the % output so you get more generation each 5 minute period.

Note for lurkers that other model SWGs can have cycles as long as 2 hours that can effect short cycle running even more.

Reactions: hagani
From https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...al_Version_3_units_after_Nov_2011_English.pdf

40% Produces chlorine for 106 seconds of each 5 minute period. See page 8.

In 4 hours of continuous running you have about 48 generating periods.

When you turn the SWG for on and off in one hour periods you reset the internal cycle. When your timer starts up the pump needs to prime and the SWG needs to see flow before it starts up with the flow switch.

You are losing a few generation periods while the cell starts up and when it stops. Rather then getting 12 generating periods in an hour you may be getting 8 or 9. That can reduce the CL output by 20%-30%.

If you want to run the IC40 that way up the % output so you get more generation each 5 minute period.

Note for lurkers that other model SWGs can have cycles as long as 2 hours that can effect short cycle running even more.

Just simple change to timer to run it twice per day/ 2hours per run in 2 days completely changed amount of chlorine.

Thank you for your advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.