Proper RPM for Filtration/Cleaning/Etc on VSP

trclac

Jul 24, 2009
Houston
Due to the recent failure of my pool pump, we replaced the pump with a Jandy VSP 2 HP epump. Our pool is 17,000 gallons, and we are located in Houston.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the ideal RPMs I should program into the VSP for different times of the day, such as low RPM for filtration from hours xx -- xx, then higher RPM for more of a cleaning circulation during the hours xx -- xx, etc.

The installer programmed it to simply run at 2700 RPM from 8AM to 7PM every day, but I think that fails to take full advantage of the VS nature of the pump.

Thanks.

tr,

There is no "proper" RPMs... Each pool is different, so you will need to use whatever works best for you.

That said, 2700 RPM for 12 hours a day does not sound too cost effective to me.

My pump runs at 1200 RPM most of the time. I do ramp if up to 1500 a couple of times a day to help with the skimming, but I am not sure it makes much difference one way or the other.

The whole point of having a VS pump is to run it as slow as you can and still have good skimming. If you have a 1960's era cleaner, that uses water power to work, then you will have to find the speed that the cleaner works and decide when you want it to work and for how long.

Each pool is a little different... You generally run a pump for three reasons:

1. To keep surface debris moving and being pushed into the skimmers. The more debris the more often you need to run the pump.

2. If you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) you'll need to run it long enough to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

3. To circulate the water to ensure the chlorine is effectively distributed throughout the pool. Two or three hours per day is all that is needed for this to happen in most pools.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thank you. My pool is not salt water. Also, I use a robot cleaner that I throw in on the weekends, rather than a "pump" cleaner.

Thanks for the advice. I knew his simple one setting speed was a waste of a new VSP.

Thanks again.

Start high and work your way down, or start low and work your way up!

Go 2000 RPM for two 3-hour sessions. Then drop the RPMs by 100 every few days until you either see more gunk on the surface than you like, or more particulate in the water than you like. Then start ramping up the RPM until you're happy.

Or start at 1200 RPM and work your way up.

You can do the same with hours, too.

1200 RPM sounds enticing, but may not provide the skimming you need. So, as Jim does, you program in a couple of higher speed skimming sessions, maybe 1800 RPM for 30 minutes, three times a day.

Infinite possibilities. Experiment to find what works.

Keep in mind that the cost of RPM is not linear. 2400 RPM does not cost twice as much as 1200. It costs quite a bit more! So the lower the RPM the better, even if it takes more hours. You can get into the math if you like, it's not to difficult to calculate.

Also consider your power company's rates. Do they charge more at certain times of the day? Program around those expensive hours.

And depending on your yard and climate, you might change seasonally. More runtime when there are lots of leaves, or dust from wind. Maybe you'll get warm/cold spots in the summer, so you'll circulate more during swim time. One schedule for 365 days a year will not likely be the most efficient.

But yah, 11 hours at 2700 is likely way too much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.