Programming Pentair Intelliflo VS

May 11, 2017
Elk River, MN
I replaced our old single speed pump this summer and have been enjoying the savings. However, I am confused by the programming instructions, so I just set it to run at the default speed 3 and let it go. From reading various posts, I could probably reduce the speed by half and still have adequate circulation, but am unsure of how to know if I have the right speed. We have no timer or automation installed, so I would have to ramp up the speed to vacuum, but that's about it. The pump and filter are about 20' from the pool and all piping is 1.5" pvc.

A little help?

obt,

The IntelliFlo can be programmed to whatever speed you want, but I suggest you initially try the default speeds and see if they will work for you.

The default speeds are..

#1 1,100 RPM ... updated... should be 750 RPM, unless you have an IntelliFlo with the SVRS option
#2 1,500 RPM
#3 2,350 RPM
#4 3,110 RPM

I suggest you run at #1, the lowest speed and see if you like it.. if not, try speed #2... I suspect you are currently running at #3 is because it visually appears to work like your old single speed pump. The whole point of a VS pump is to run slow....

For reference I run 95% of the time at 1,200 RPM because I have to run that fast to close the flow switch on my salt cell. At that speed you can just see a little ripple out of the pool returns, but it still keeps the surface skimmed.

My filter pressure is only about 2 or 3 lbs. which is a good thing because it allows me to only have to clean it twice a year at the most.

Try speed one and see what you think...

Thanks,

Jim R.

obt,

The IntelliFlo can be programmed to whatever speed you want, but I suggest you initially try the default speeds and see if they will work for you.

The default speeds are..

#1 1,100 RPM
#2 1,500 RPM
#3 2,350 RPM
#4 3,110 RPM

I suggest you run at #1, the lowest speed and see if you like it..

I just installed the a Intelliflo VS 011018, and the #1 default speed is 750 RPM. Manual says the same as well.

I just installed the a Intelliflo VS 011018, and the #1 default speed is 750 RPM. Manual says the same as well.

Sorry, I used my manual to check the numbers and forgot I have the more than useless SVRS version of the IntelliFlo pump which has different default speeds.

Thanks for the heads up.. I updated my original post..

Jim R.

You guessed right. I chose speed 3 because it made me feel good about saving 50% energy or so, but still had enough action that I believed was necessary based on the old pump.
Default #1 is 750, and is clearly too slow. Will go with #2, or maybe setup a custom near 1200 like yours. Any idea what your GPM is?

You guessed right. I chose speed 3 because it made me feel good about saving 50% energy or so, but still had enough action that I believed was necessary based on the old pump.
Default #1 is 750, and is clearly too slow. Will go with #2, or maybe setup a custom near 1200 like yours. Any idea what your GPM is?

obt,

I do not have a clue as to what my GPM is... Not sure why I would need to know...??

If you are trying to calculate 'water turn overs' per day, it is not at all necessary. There is just no truth to the myth that you have to turn over the water in your pool a set number of times per day.

We have many people here that only run their pumps for a couple of hours a day. It is much more important to have your pool water chemistry correct than it is to focus on anything the pump/filter is doing..

If you think 750 is too slow, then I would reprogram speed #1 to 1,000 or 1,200 and try that..

Thanks,

Jim R.

obt,

Not sure up/down matters all the much, but I would try to aim them in a effort to make the water in your pool swirl in a circle to help push the surface debris toward the skimmer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.