Programming New Pumps....

Burfcr

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2018
Burlington, ON
In the tail end of a pool reno and am curious as to how to set up my pump in terms of programming. Have a 32,000 gallon pool and a separate 800 gallon spa (that does empty into the pool) and the PB installed 2 X 3 HP Pentair Intelliflo VSF Variable Speed and Flow Pumps (one for the pool, one as a spa booster). Also have an Intellichlor IC40 salt cell that won’t be up and running for a month.

For the main pool pump, what kind of schedule should I be running? The PB did recommend ignoring setting things based on RPM’s, but to set the programs based on GPM (right now we have it set at 75 GPM when the heater is on or the spa is being used - translates into 2,700 RPM and 1,300 watts being used.

Thanks,

B,

I think your pool builder knows more about building pools, than he does about running pools... :mrgreen:

The whole point of having VS pumps is so that you can run at the lowest possible flow or RPM that makes your pool work. In my mind the two main constraints are ..

What speed/flow will turn on the SWCG flow switch.. Keep reducing the speed/flow until the red low flow light comes on and then turn it back up until the light goes green. Add 100 RPM and this is the slowest speed or flow you ever want to run.. This is the speed that you should be running most of the time your pump is on..

The next thing you need to figure is at what speed/flow that turns the heater's pressure switch on.. Figure that out the same way and add 100 RPM and that is the flow you need to heat your spa or pool

I guess my point is that arbitrarily deciding this is 2700 RPM is not how it should be done.. You need to play with it and see what works best for you in various situations..

As a reference, while you are using 1300 watts, I'm using about 175 watts...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim,

The service tech did mention that technique for the pool heater (Including the +100 rpm). Good to know about using the same technique for the salt cell too. Until I get the salt cell up and running, I guess I go with a lower GPW to keep the water turning and the skimmers skimming? (With the higher GPW when using the heater or spa). When I switch over to salt, use the technique you note and then it runs 24/7?

(Sorry, it’s all very different than my old set up: single speed pump that was on a timer to run 8-9 hours a day!)

Last edited:
You can run the pump 24/7, or you can run it long enough to create your chlorine each day. As your IC40 is small for your 32000 gallon pool, you may as well run it 24 hours and adjust the % setting on the SWCG to generate the chlorine you need.

B,

There is no need to run the pump 24/7 unless you just want too.. I run mine 24/7 because I personally like the idea that I am making a little chlorine all the time and that I am skimming all the time..

I suspect that you are wanting to run 24/7 because you still believe in the myth that you need X water turnovers a day... It is just not true..

Your IC40 is really too small for your 32K pool.. But depending where on "Earth" you live it may work fine... Your cell running at 100% and 24/7 will produce an FC increase in your pool of 5.2 ppm or about .21 ppm per hour. Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day, so let's assume yours uses 3 ppm per day.. This means you will need to run the pump for 14 hours with the cell set to 100% output.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.