Programing Variable Speed Pump Programming Schedule

00xavier

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2013
Melrose, NY
I have a few questions related to programming my variable speed pump:

1. How many hours should I run my variable speed pump?
2. How many programs should I use?
3. How many RPMs should my pool pump run at within those programs?
4. Is it better to run the pump during the day or night?
5. How will a SWG impact my pump schedule and required speeds.

Thanks.

i am working on the same questions myself - my heater and my SWCG have flow rate needs that I need to take into account. Also, it is advised to keep the SWCG on a separate timer that is inside of the time schedule you have set for the pump (and not rely on the flow sensor). I have yet to set up my intermatic timer for the SWCG but I plan on doing it soon.

1. How many hours should I run my variable speed pump?
There are too many variables. Generally the lowest setting that activates your SWCG flow sensor will be the most cost efficient even if you have to run it for longer period of time.
2. How many programs should I use?
As many as you need. My pump has 8. I use 6. 1-4 have hard buttons so I use these in egg-timer mode and have them programmed for low, med-low, med-high, and high. I forget the RPMs. I think my low setting is set to 900. That is less than 60 Watts. Then two others are are on a schedule. One is lowish, and the other runs higher to help with the skimming.

3. How many RPMs should my pool pump run at within those programs?
Slow enough to save money. Fast enough to run any features and your skimmers. Long enough to keep FC in range.

4. Is it better to run the pump during the day or night?
I used to run 24 hours but I'm really focusing on trying to get my pool warmer this year. Only running during the day to help reduce heat loss at night.

5. How will a SWG impact my pump schedule and required speeds.
There is a flow sensor in your SWCG. Your flow will need to be fast enough to trigger that sensor. You should not loose much FC overnight. It is best to run at least during the day to keep your FC up. But how long will depend on your SWCG output, CYA, sun exposure, bather load, and any number of other variables. It is very much a constant tweak until you can find a combination that works for you.

Reactions: csconner
Your in-floor cleaning system will dominate your flow rate requirements. It will need much higher flow rates than anything else. So depending on how long each day you run the in-floor, will determine if you need any other settings.

Hello from Music City,

Everyone above is spot on.

Here is my setup that might help you each as you plan your schedule and settings.

I have a VSF, I run it 7x24 @550RPM all winter (I do a soft close) @970RPM spring, summer, fall to drive my swg (currently running at 10%, but will ramp as it heats up) and skimmer. I ramp up to 1100, 1600, 2200 RPM for 15-120 min to drive increased skimming, disperse chemicals, drive waterfall, heat or chill, prior to swim, after big swim party, etc. @3300RPM when I vacuum for 15 min every week or two.

I have one primary pool program that runs 7x24, a second for heating, third for chilling and I use egg timers (8 total including, pool lights, water fall, water fall lights, cleaning, etc.. ) for everything else.

Every pool is different, I leveraged the forum input, experiences, best practices, asked lots of questions and tweaked as I learned my pool and equipment characteristics and the seasons/environment here in middle Tennessee.

Hope that helps you dial in your pools.

Reactions: Shirker
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.