Programable Pool Pump Timer

offgrid

Aug 17, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
What is the best Programmable Pool Pump Timer where I can program on/off for a weekly schedule :

1. Turn pump on at 9:00 pm and off at 7:00 am Mon-Friday
2. Turn pump on to run 24 hrs Saturday and Sunday

Also, if the air temperature goes over 80 F I'd like to be able to adjust the schedule so that the pump can
come on for 3 or 4 hours during the afternoon.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
I have an intermatic timer that does exactly that. I don't remember the model number but it's an electronic timer. I looked on the Intermatic site but couldn't find it listed. It works like a programmable thermostat for your home. You can set it for any 1 day, 5 days + 2 days or all 7 days with multiple cycles per day.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Seems like it was about $60.00 but it may have been a little more. I got it at Lowes. I'm not sure why they had it or if it's a normally stocked item.

I didn't need an electrician to install it but I'm not a good one to ask cause I-R-1! :-D

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
Not sure you'll be able to find something that adjusts to the outside temp. If you are handy, you could use a programmable A/C thermostat and a contactor. I've thought about using an irrigation timer, but most limit each zone to 99 minutes, so you'd need to program each zone in succession which would be a pain if you wanted to change the program often. And it would not be able to react to temperature.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
That's pretty impressive. It uses Z-wave communication which is a protocol developed and marketed by Zenith but has become a standard in the home automation arena. It's 900mhz radio protocol so it's very reliable.

A couple of quick looks puts it about $350.

Other Threads of Interest