Problems with Stonescape resurfacing

Doug1s

Feb 14, 2021
Osprey, FL
I recently had my pool resurfaced using Stonescape Aqua Blue Mini pebbles. From day one, I had so many problems with the installer I don’t know where to begin. From the day they drained my pool to the day they finally started refilling it was 35 days. I was told 7 to 14. They finished the plaster work on a Saturday and didn’t return to acid wash and power wash until the following Tuesday. The manufacturer‘s website clearly states that 24 hours is the maximum time between finishing plaster and starting the refill so the finish doesn’t dry out. The end result is a shocking amount of excess plaster on top of the fact that the very limited areas with actual pebble exposure look nothing like the color I chose. My installer tells me that with a few weeks of brushing, the excess plaster will all miraculously be gone. Well after four days of spending 1.5 hours a day brushing 3 times (on top of balancing the water chemistry several times per day), not a shred of excess plaster has been removed. I am certain it’s because they didn’t expose the pebble properly on the day they plastered (they were done in less than 5 hours for a 14,000 gallon pool) and they let it dry for 3 days before acid washing and power washing. I’m so upset at how it looks. There aren’t two square feet that even have a uniform look. Thankfully I stopped payment on the 60% balance due check I wrote but I am very concerned that the surface can’t be remediated because of the poor installation. I’m very reluctant to drain the pool after five weeks of being empty so I am looking for any suggestions. I am a new pool owner so don’t know much about these pebble finishes. Thanks in advance.

I just added some pictures. You can see some areas where the surface is a little darker. That is where some of the pebbles have been exposed but significant plaster remains. The lighter areas are all excessive plaster with hardly any pebble exposure. My steps are almost smooth to the touch because they are basically plaster with some barely exposed pebbles mixed in. Thanks again for all comments. Hoping the manufacturer can assist.

Attachments

• Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 63
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 64
  • Pic 5.jpg
    Pic 5.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I recently had my pool resurfaced using Stonescape Aqua Blue Mini pebbles. From day one, I had so many problems with the installer I don’t know where to begin. From the day they drained my pool to the day they finally started refilling it was 35 days. I was told 7 to 14. They finished the plaster work on a Saturday and didn’t return to acid wash and power wash until the following Tuesday. The manufacturer‘s website clearly states that 24 hours is the maximum time between finishing plaster and starting the refill so the finish doesn’t dry out. The end result is a shocking amount of excess plaster on top of the fact that the very limited areas with actual pebble exposure look nothing like the color I chose. My installer tells me that with a few weeks of brushing, the excess plaster will all miraculously be gone. Well after four days of spending 1.5 hours a day brushing 3 times (on top of balancing the water chemistry several times per day), not a shred of excess plaster has been removed. I am certain it’s because they didn’t expose the pebble properly on the day they plastered (they were done in less than 5 hours for a 14,000 gallon pool) and they let it dry for 3 days before acid washing and power washing. I’m so upset at how it looks. There aren’t two square feet that even have a uniform look. Thankfully I stopped payment on the 60% balance due check I wrote but I am very concerned that the surface can’t be remediated because of the poor installation. I’m very reluctant to drain the pool after five weeks of being empty so I am looking for any suggestions. I am a new pool owner so don’t know much about these pebble finishes. Thanks in advance.
I'm pretty sure stonescapes installers have to be certified by NPT and thus subject to its installation requirements with a warranty and install guarantee. Pretty sure if you call NPT and tell them (especially if you have photos) that this was clearly not done to their standards, the installer would be forced to redo it. Pebble finishes are expensive, and the whole point of aggregate is that it is more durable than plaster - so having more aggregate exposed and less plaster is what gives it so much strength and chemical resistance. Seems like a total waste of money to have a pebble finish and it not be exposed consistently.

There are some PBs and industry guys on here who might be able to give you more specific direction - but I'm pretty sure NPT, PebbleTec, and WetEdge all use authorized installers that come with a guarantee. Sometimes finishes come out less evenly especially with dark plaster, but that's not the same thing as doing installation incorrectly in the first place...

Thank you for your feedback. I spent some time on the manufacturer's website and they clearly state that the warranty only covers their materials and that poor workmanship is not covered. I have read other posts on this site about no drain acid washes to help loosen excess plaster but it seems that the general consensus is that it is a bad idea and will causes more long term trouble to the pool. I am at a loss as to what to do but I have no faith in my installer even though their reviews online are excellent.

I would still contact NPT. While they are not going to warranty against the PB workmanship, they can as experts verify that the install was not done to their standards/procedures and exert pressure on the PB to remedy the situation. NPT certainly has an interest in not having a PB install their product poorly and the resultant damage to their reputation.

I would still contact NPT. While they are not going to warranty against the PB workmanship, they can as experts verify that the install was not done to their standards/procedures and exert pressure on the PB to remedy the situation. NPT certainly has an interest in not having a PB install their product poorly and the resultant damage to their reputation.
Thanks - I left a message for the NPT rep today and am waiting to hear back.

The pics I just posted are day 6 of the pool being started up and I have brushed vigorously 3 times per day and kept all chemical levels in line with the instructions I received. We I cleaned my cartridge filter yesterday, all that washed out was yellow pollen. Not a trace of blue plaster.

Hi Doug, I just had the same issue. I called NPT snd had a representative come out to
Look at my pool. My contractor did t even use stonscapes, which was in my contract snd used Florida plaster which is a totally different type of installation.

I just added some pictures. You can see some areas where the surface is a little darker. That is where some of the pebbles have been exposed but significant plaster remains. The lighter areas are all excessive plaster with hardly any pebble exposure. My steps are almost smooth to the touch because they are basically plaster with some barely exposed pebbles mixed in. Thanks again for all comments. Hoping the manufacturer can assist.
Maybe go after his bond. Find out who the carrier is from your state contractor licensing board. You have to provide lots of documentation but may be worth it if you need to pay someone else to "fix" things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.