Problems with salt level and FC

Aug 8, 2013
Houston, Tx
I've been using the TFP Taylor test kit since we've had our pool, about 5 months. I think I've managed the levels fairly well but now I need some guidance. We had a huge pool party 4 days ago then a torrential rainstorm last night and my FC is down to 1. I increased the salt percentage to 55% and the pump runs from 8-5. I just turned on the Super Chlorinate to run for 24 hrs. Do I need to manually add chlorine? I have some pucks the PB left behind. The pool is looking a little green but I'm thinking that's because of the rainwater.

Second issue is salt levels. It has been dwindling over the last month and is now 2310. Looking at this chart https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Salt&SwimChemistryGuide.pdf it says I should add about 150 lbs of salt. That seems so high. Should I start with a bag or two?

Other numbers from testing today:
CYA 80
TA 90
pH 7.8
CH 275

Hi April from Houston. Here in San Antonio, we also got pounded by rain. I too had a large get-together this weekend leaving my pool a bit murky. It is common for SWG owners to supplement their chlorine output with bleach. Given the fact you've experienced lots of weather and guests, your pool sounds like it's struggling. Stay away from those pucks! They add CYA to your pool (stabilizer) and it's already getting very high (80). Stick to regular bleach and get that FC level back up. If the pool is looking green, it's time to SLAM. See the link in my signature and consider starting that right away. Keep us posted.

If you are getting that salt reading from the SWG, it is time do do a visual inspection of the salt cell plates. If the plates are clean, then indeed you need to add some salt. But if the plates have any white chalky stuff on them the cell should be cleaned and you probably don't need any salt added.

Be aware that the salt level shown on your Hayward is an average. As you "page down" pressing the button the last four digit reading is "instant salt". That's the one you want.

If that is low, then I'd add one bag, wait a day or two, then add another if instant salt calls for it.

Regarding chlorine, I'd add chlorine either power or liquid to get your numbers up to spec. Your CYA is ok for now, I'd say.

Feel free to send your extra rain to California! It'll be a win-win!

Thank for the input! Pat, the CYA was actually 0 a month ago. I worked hard to get it up to 80! I agree I don't want it to go much higher. Should I use just regular Clorox?

Jason we just built the pool, finished in January. Could there be a chance of buildup already?

Chuckie good to know about the reading. I actually measured salt levels with a test strip. I am going to see what the remote 'instant salt' says though. Wonder if they are close.

So how do I calculate the amount of bleach to add?

Yes April. Anytime you feel the need to use liquid chlorine (bleach) to augment your SWG, make sure it's "regular" bleach. Here in Texas we can get pretty good prices at HEB or Wal-Mart. :) Have you ever seen the Pool/Math Calculator on this site? It's an OUTSTANDING product developed for YOU. Just enter the numbers that apply to you and your pool and it will tell you what to add. If in doubt, you can still reply back and all of the TFP'ers will assist.

It is not really necessary, just better safe than sorry. There are several options on how to turn off depending on how it is installed. Usually, there is a circuit breaker and/or a time clock to cut power to the SWG.

I regularly add bleach to my saltwater pool when it is needed. It is much easier to me to add some bleach than it is to change the run time or the percentage for a one time event. I have to fiddle enough with run time and percentage as the season goes by as it is.

I use plain, unscented (no easy pour, splashless or any of that) bleach from the grocery store. Store brand 8.25% bleach.

It is very important to keep your chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA at ALL times or algae will start to grow. If anything aim a little higher, not lower. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.