Problem with wiring that attaches to start capacitor

suerou

Jun 25, 2018
Charlton ma
Not sure if anyone has had this happen but when I tried to switch out a bad start capacitor for a new one the connector that slides onto the capacitor broke off from the wire. I have stripped some of the insulator covering on the wire but I can't seem to find where to buy the flag connector. I am attaching a picture of the old connector and a new one that is red sold to me by local electrical supply store. I am concerned that the red one may melt if the pump motor heats up. Appreciate anyone who has experienced this problem giving me some advice. Thank you, I have been looking online for hours but can't solve this!

Attachments

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Did the old one have insulation?
I think the plastic should be fine, although it is easy enough to cut off the plastic if you wanted.

I am very surprised that the electrical supply store did not have some un-insulated ones. I know the place I go to has them. Usually they have the clear rubber insulator you can slide on if desired.

suerou

Jun 25, 2018
Charlton ma
The old one did not have insulation either. I may try another supply store. Just to be sure. Thanks for your thoughts, appreciate it.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
They're available it's a 1/4" uninsulated flag connector. I think that the wire size is about #14.

proavia

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Feb 6, 2015
Chandler AZ
The original is a 1/4" female 90 degree spade connector - like these
Power First 5UGK9 Bare Female Flag Disconnect

The above are for 14-16 gauge wire - get ones for your wire gauge. Price shown is for 100/box. If you can't find just a couple at a local supply house, ask an electrician or electrical contractor if they will sell you a few.