Problem with Pentair Intelliflow VSF and Intellitouch.

May 30, 2017
Mesa/AZ
I have a 1 year old 22,000 pool. I've recently noticed that when the 3hp Pentair Intelliflow VSF pump is on its high setting, it really isnt moving much water. Using screen logic from my phone I can confirm when the schedule is running for Low and High speeds. If I configure the settings for RPM and set to the max, the output flow is still much lower than it should be. For example setting it for max 3450 rpm, the pump will only output 29 gpm. If i switch the settings for max flow (130 gpm), the pump only outputs about 52 gpm. Higher than when I had it set for RPM,but still not at the max setting. I did not have any problems with this pump last summer when pool was brand new. I have confirmed that the skimmer baskets, and pump baskets are clear of debris and have even checked the impeller to ensure it has nothing clogging it. And I cleaned the cartridge filter. Nothing has corrected the problem. I've been on phone with Pentair support multiple times. The first call I spoke with a pump tech. He said the individual settings on the pump were fine and he thought the problem was with the control panel and automation. Several more calls to the automation people, they confirmed what I see, but they wont admit the problem is with the Pentair equipment. I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars to hire a pool person to come out and confirm that there is something wrong with the Pentair equipment. I'd rather convince Pentair of that so that it would be covered under the warranty. Any suggestions?

Michael

Attachments

• Pentair_VSF3.png
    Pentair_VSF3.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Pentair_VSF2.png
    Pentair_VSF2.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Pentair_VSF1.png
    Pentair_VSF1.png
    60 KB · Views: 9
If the filter pressure is 17 and the system pressure is 38, that implies that the suction is 21 psi, which is more than what's theoretically possible.

Is the flow coming out of the returns strong or weak at 3450 rpm?

If the flow coming out of the returns is weak and the filter pressure is only 17 psi, that points to a suction problem.

You can get a vacuum gauge at an auto parts store and screw it into the front drain plug hole to see what the suction actually is.

Maybe the suction valve is clogged?

The flow is weak at 3450. I will pick up a vacuum gauge and I can also take apart the suction valve to confirm its either clear or there's a problem that needs fixing. What should a good vacuum reading be? Thank you for helping me troubleshoot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The vacuum shouldn't exceed about 17 in hg (8.35 psi or 19.3 feet of water).

Are you sure that the filter pressure gauge is accurate?

Maybe replace the gauge to be sure.

When was the last time that you cleaned the filter?

Be careful screwing in a vacuum gauge. It's a tapered thread and it can overstress the hole and possibly crack the hole.

Check the pump basket to make sure that it's clean.

You can check the impeller for debris to see if that's causing any problems.

Note that the pump does not actually measure flow or pressure. It estimates flow and pressure from the power usage and the rpm.

So, I don't consider the flow or pressure reading to be super accurate.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.