problem with green pool

Jun 5, 2015
Toronto Canada
28000 gunnite with cartridge filter
my pool is green mostly suspended despite high levels of chlorine for over 10 days
my cya is only about 30 but
PH 7.5
chlorine 29 ppm and combine chloramines 2.5 when tested in late afternoon on a sunny day
using a combo of chlorine bleach and salt generator
I have a robot and polaris and I am also scooping and there is not a lot down there
I have swept the pool multiple times as well

any other suggestion
re the algae
I realize I should probably go higher with the chlorine to get rid of the chloramines

It is not good on your equipment or pool surface to have a FC that high above SLAM level FC. It does no good to have it that high.

How are you getting your water chemistry results?

It is not good on your equipment or pool surface to have a FC that high above SLAM level FC. It does no good to have it that high.

How are you getting your water chemistry results?
I am using my test kit tf 100 FAS-DPD TESTING
I have done PH testing fc and total combine chloramine testing and cyanuric acid by turbidity testing with the test kit
My understanding is that to clear my combined chloramines I need a chlorine level that is 10 -20x the level of the CC (which would be around 25 ppm max) so I am not that far off
Out again today and the water is green and cloudy still can see about 2 feet down
Vacuumed and not a lot of debris coming out in the waste
This has been more than a week
Any ideas?

fs

I am using my test kit tf 100 FAS-DPD TESTING
I have done PH testing fc and total combine chloramine testing and cyanuric acid by turbidity testing with the test kit
My understanding is that to clear my combined chloramines I need a chlorine level that is 10 -20x the level of the CC (which would be around 25 ppm max) so I am not that far off
Out again today and the water is green and cloudy still can see about 2 feet down
Vacuumed and not a lot of debris coming out in the waste
This has been more than a week
Any ideas?

fs
Have you switched out your cartridges? With a green pool, I can almost guarantee that they are full with Algae and you need to take them out and clean them with a solution to remove the Algae. I would suggest investing in a second set of cartridges if you have extra cash on hand. Otherwise clean them every 2-4 hours and that may do the trick. Last year it took me about 2 weeks to clear a green pool last year.

Have you switched out your cartridges? With a green pool, I can almost guarantee that they are full with Algae and you need to take them out and clean them with a solution to remove the Algae. I would suggest investing in a second set of cartridges if you have extra cash on hand. Otherwise clean them every 2-4 hours and that may do the trick. Last year it took me about 2 weeks to clear a green pool last year.
much dumber than that
somehow last year I cleaned the cartridges and then put them away in the garage I looked for them in the cabana and assumed they were in the filter case
I have been running the pool filter without cartridges !
I only noticed when as I vacuumed with the pump only partly to waste and I saw a flood of material coming back through the returns

fs

• Haha
Reactions: cledee
much dumber than that
somehow last year I cleaned the cartridges and then put them away in the garage I looked for them in the cabana and assumed they were in the filter case
I only noticed when as I vacuumed with the pump only partly to waste and I saw a flood of material coming back through the returns

fs
I always fear that someday I might end up doing this too. :) Glad you figured it sooner than later. Did you notice any pressure difference at all on the gauge while running without the filters?

Just curious, Is there a reason to remove your filters for closing? I clean them and always just leave them in the case all winter. Also glad you figured out the issue!
I have 2 sets of filters, one that's antimicrobial, i typically leave that one one over the winter. The regular cartridge filter can get algae growth over winter.

much dumber than that

fs
It happened to me one time, when I was cleaning them, I thought I put them back in, and the pool is starting to get filthy and I can see stuff coming back in through the returns. That's why I have a second set now. There's no down time, and I can leave them soaking overnight in solution. It cleans them so much better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.