Problem with algae/fine dirt bypassing cartridge filter

Lduet

May 8, 2017
Baldwin NY
Hello, This is my first post. For many years I've had a Hayward X-Stream CC 1500 with a big Pleatco cartridge filter are usually get a new filter cartridge every 2 to 3 years and right now I have one that is two years old and it is one of the advantage antimicrobial ones. (Pleatco brand)

The problem I've had for many years now is that any find dirt or algae will go right through the cartridge filter and pump right back into the inlet back into the pool while vacuuming. The round rings on the filter where the cartridge goes on I'm not sure if they're supposed to have rubber straps on them or something to make a tight seal if anybody knows about this please advise thank you I will be googling also. And thank you for adding me to this forum. Right now I have algae that has been killed with shock and it's just like white "cells" ? coming back through the filter into the pool again as I vacuum I can see the return get all cloudy and pump it right back in.

Thank you !!! :)

Louis

Hi Louis and welcome to TFP! :wave: I see you've posted to other people's threads, but this is your own first thread, so nice to have you with us. I see a couple issues with your description above. I too have a single Hayward cartridge filter. But no filter, regardless how big or expensive, is designed to remove live algae. Remember that when you get algae, the water needs to be treated properly with "right amount" chlorine/bleach. Anything blowing-back to the pool is probably just an indication of algae-overload and blowing right around the cartridge.

Here's what I would suggest:
- Provide a full set of test results from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. If you don't have one of those, that should be step #1 (link below).
- Update your signature with all of your pool info. That information will help us tremendously.

It's nice to have you with us. With some good test results, we should be able to help get you going.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.