Problem filtering with Zeolite

Jun 17, 2018
Beaver Falls/PA
I opened my pool this year to a nice black swamp. I had odor coming out of the lines when I fired up the filter, but everything ran fine. I have had it open now for 3 weeks and the water is now just a light green, which is a sight better then the black that it was. The issue I have seen is that whenever I backwash the filter the water is clear, like it hasn't filtered anything. Today I backwashed, with clear water coming out, however when I switched it to rinse I had an air pocket come out and some brown water that smelled like sewage!! I have had an inground pool for 14 years and never had anything like this. I am so confused!! What do you guys think of zeolite as a filtration media and has anyone had this issue or similar?

What do you guys think of zeolite as a filtration media and has anyone had this issue or similar?
I've never heard of a similar problem, but we generally find that the best thing to use in a sand filter is sand. The specialty filtration media are very good at filtering money out of your pocket, but I've seen nothing that proves they are any better than sand at filtering the pool.

I would look into deep cleaning the sand filter to see what is going on inside. THIS THREAD will explain a sand filter and how to "deep clean" it.

I have zeolite and while I’ve never experienced a problem like what you are describing, I don’t think it’s all it’s cracked up to be. I didn’t close my pool and it ran all year long. I don’t think it filters very well so I do have to use some DE at times plus I have skimmer socks on my skimmers. It seems to help but as soon as I have a moment to breathe I’ll be switching to sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.