Problem connecting Pentair Intellicom II to Hayward OnCommand

teares

Jun 18, 2014
Tehachapi CA
I am attempting to control my Intelliflo pump with a Hayward OnCommand controller. I have purchased an Intellicomm II adapter. When I connect power to the Intellicom from the remote connection in the OnCommand, the OnCommand no longer responds to any control inputs. When I remove the power connection, the OnCommand performs normally. Does anyone have any insight into this? Thanks

The IntelliComm II is designed to be connected to power relay outputs, not remote connections. The two devices are from different companies and do not speak the same "remote" language, so you can't use a remote connection.

I just need the voltage from the OnCommand to power the Intellicom. The control connections are between the Intellicom and the Intelliflo. I tried connecting a 9 V battery to power the Intellicomm and everything works as it is supposed to. Unfortunately the battery only lasted about a day and a half. I am currently looking around the OnCommand for an alternate voltage source (the Intellicom can use 9 to 24 V). What has me stumped is that the OnCommand stops responding to any inputs when I power the Intellicom with the RS-485 red wire.

Ah, I partly misunderstood.

The IntelliComm II is indeed supposed to be able to draw power from the Hayward communications line pins 1 and 4 (red and green respectively).

I can think of a few reasons that wouldn't work. One would be if you accidentally wired it to some other pins, perhaps if the wire colors did not match up with their conventional pin numbers. The other would be if the OnCommand does not have enough power available on the comm pins for everything that is attached to them. It should have enough power for the IntelliComm II alone, but if additional devices drawing power were also attached there is some chance the total power could exceed it's capacity. The final possibility is if there is a short somewhere in your IntelliComm II connections, so that connecting the red wire somehow shorts the red wire to something else that is connected to ground on the OnCommand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.