Probable leak

dsm

Jul 3, 2010
Double Oak, TX
We had the big freeze in TX a few weeks ago. I managed to keep my system from freezing up. Unfortunately, it is apparent to me I have a leak somewhere.

In the morning, before the pool pump kicks back on, the basket catch in front of the pump intake is empty of water. I have never seen this before during normal operations. Also, there is an intermittent, but regularly paced air bubble pushed through the plumbing and through the water return into the pool. This is only present in one of my returns.

How do I figure out where the leak is? From there, we can figure out how to repair this.

Thanks.

How is your water level? Make sure your Weir door is not stuck in the closed position. Have you seen any leaks on the pressure side, from the pump to the filter on back? Check for cracks in the filter and pump housing and pot.

That's about all I got, but you do get a bump out of me.

Check your pump basket lid. A small crack can cause what you are seeing. Clean and lubricate the gasket while you have it apart.

Do you have any valves before the pump suction?

Brief update. The basket catch filter right in front of the pump was pretty full. Cleaning that resolved the 'bubbles coming through water return' problem pretty quickly. I still woke up to an empty reservoir (the basket catch location) and see no above ground evidence of a leak. Shame on me for not examining the lid closely enough when it was off. Maybe later today.

If this was an automobile cooling system a mechanic would pressurize the system with air and look for pin hole leaks in hoses & radiator. Is the process similar for this type of issue on a pool?

Thanks

If this was an automobile cooling system a mechanic would pressurize the system with air and look for pin hole leaks in hoses & radiator. Is the process similar for this type of issue on a pool?
Pressure testing is possible but much more involved and can wait until you investigate other sources.
Clean and lubricate the pump basket lid gasket. Are there any valves on the suction side of the pump?

Current status. Not much has changed, or has been learned, unfortunately. I did find that the pressure release valve on my filter was leaking air. Yes, not water. Appears that my pump was not even getting the filter completely full with water. Pressure release valve has been replaced. In the process, the filter was cleaned, etc. including lubricating pump basket lid. Ultimately, no joy, as nothing has really improved.

As far as I can tell, two things are pertinent. 1) Every morning when the pump restarts, the pump must prime. All vacuum pressure in the plumbing is lost, and I pump air through the pressure release valve on the filter until water fills the filter. 2) The reservoir in which the pump basket sits never fully fills with water. An inordinate amount of air remains in the top of the basket reservoir after the pump has primed and while the pump is operating, regardless of the pump speed.

I am beginning to think that the pump is damaged and and is underperforming, since it cannot completely fill the basket reservoir with water. The result is that I have a water return that also spits bubbles into the pool.

And for the life of me I cannot find a water leak anywhere in the above ground plumbing. I am at a bit of a loss about what to do. All of the plumbing is original installed equipment from 20 years ago (except the pump, which is 10-12 years old). I was already scheduling a complete replacement of the plumbing this spring, but since our TX freeze my service vendor is telling me 6 months before any equipment is available.

I'm open to thoughts, ideas, and guidance. Thanks.

Focus on the suction side of the pump. Any valves. Any other connections. Use plastic wrap to seal around those items to see if anything helps.

Reactions: dsm
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.