Priming Failure

Machisono

Jul 5, 2021
Hawaii
Hello all,
I am hoping for some assistance following a stressful morning. Here on Kauai it is quite difficult to find a pool maintenance person with the amount of new pools coming on line. Another factor for me is that my home is isolated with no one in the are having a pool. Hence, most of the pool guys want to be in the newer developments where they can service a number of pools with little travel time, I get that.

This morning my pool guy quits while we were in the process of hooking up the Intelliph (which I did not want to purchase following Jim and Marty's recommendation to wait for a year). My pool guy said I will not deal with a salt water pool without the Intelliph, so at great lengths I find one and ask him to install. The resignation happened before we drilled any holes for the Intelliph. Enough of this.

Here is where I need your help. He closed off the return line (opened now 100%) and the main drain line( now open 45%) . I started the pump but am only getting about 8 psi on the filter pump and after 10 minutes the pump shuts down bc "failure to prime". It has been running well on auto before the separation. Can you tell me what Iam doing wrong or what I need to do. It has been about 6 weeks since starting up the pool and honestly he has been very reluctant to go to a salt system, which indicates to me he is not capable or interested in my pool

mahalo

joe

Is the pump basket filling with water?

Are you sure you have the suction valves in the correct position? You can post a photo of your equipment pad and we may be able to confirm.

How is the water level? It should be at the middle of the skimmer mouth.

When the pump is running, do you see any suction inside the skimmer?

There is a weir door at the mouth of the skimmer. Make sure it opens freely and is not stuck in the closed position.

Double check the o-ring on the pump lid basket. It should be clean and free of debris. Lube the o-ring with silicone pool lube. Make sure the pump lid is hand tight.

Ask for clarification if you need it.

Last edited:
Aloha Mike,
I hired someone that got it up and going, added the salt and got the Intelliph going.

To answer your ?'s
skimmer was not filling with water and valves were incorrectly positioned. I do not know if at the moment of "Lets get out of here" that the "helper" then turned a few valves to "humbug" me. Because the equipment room is below the deck I could not see.

On another note I know that the former cleaner has my system on his Pentair app. How can I eliminate his potential control of the settings?

thank you for your feedback

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.