Preventative Maintenance on Pool Deck Components?

manthemike12

Bronze Supporter
Jul 20, 2021
Boston, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm through my first season as a pool owner and I noticed a few things that might need to be addressed. I'm learning that preventative maintenance in pool ownership is the key if you want to save a big repair bill down the road.

Pool: 16,000 gal, gunite SWG pool

There are three things I am concerned with in my pool. Separating joints between coping blocks, deteriorating expansion joint and deteriorating waterline tile grout.
I suspect the joint coping issue and expansion joint are related. Possibly ice got into the joint pushing on the pool?

1) Is the cracking/separating in the coping blocks a big deal as this time? It isn't everywhere only in a few places. How would this be repaired? Can this wait?

2) The expansion joint is going to be redone by me. Deck-o-seal is in the mail!

3) Finally the grout on top of the waterline tiles seems to be deteriorating. No tiles are coming off at this time and I am not finding pieces of grout in my pool. Can this also wait?

Attachments

• Coping.jpg
    Coping.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Waterline_Tile.jpg
    Waterline_Tile.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Wow
Reactions: KJB1
In my opinion the movement of the brick and grout, the grout deterioration is all due to the first picture. Water is able to get under your concrete work and the soil is expanding because of the Deck-O-Seal being deteriorate. This is what needs to be repaired as soon as possible to help stop the other two situation.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
In my opinion the movement of the brick and grout, the grout deterioration is all due to the first picture. Water is able to get under your concrete work and the soil is expanding because of the Deck-O-Seal being deteriorate. This is what needs to be repaired as soon as possible to help stop the other two situation.
I agree. the expansion joint is getting fixed asap when the new deck-o-seal gets here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.