Apr 27, 2021
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,
So this year since joining and understanding when a backwash is required I think I have only backwashed once this season thus far. One thing I noticed is when I turn the pump off and take the basket out for cleaning weekly there usually isn’t much debris in that basket to clean out maybe a few grass blades that passed through the skimmer baskets but really not much debris. Anyhow once I turn her back on the pressure actually comes down again so I’ve really haven’t had to backwash. Especially when I toggle it on then off & wait 5 seconds then turn her on again my pressure comes back down close to normal. So my question is. Would that be considered normal that by turning the pump off an introducing air into when cleaning it that the pressure then comes Down without a backwash? Should I consider doing a backwash? I mean I guess not if I’ve been running clean and clear no issues “knock on wood” till this day.

Only thing I would add is that you should bleed air from your filter after you clean the pump basket and tighten back the top. When the pump kicks on it will push all that air to the filter and it should be bleed off so your filter is full of water. This provides the best filtration and you are using all of your grid area.

Reactions: Envieddesigns
Only thing I would add is that you should bleed air from your filter after you clean the pump basket and tighten back the top. When the pump kicks on it will push all that air to the filter and it should be bleed off so your filter is full of water. This provides the best filtration and you are using all of your grid area.
By unscrewing the pressure gauge to relieve the air?

"I turn the pump off and take the basket out for cleaning weekly there usually isn’t much debris in that basket to clean out maybe a few grass blades that passed through the skimmer baskets but really not much debris."

I would backwash more, and dump the pump basket less in your case. Tex splash is right just, you could leave it alone and i'm sure you will be fine.

I will say over backwashing a sand filter to much is almost never a problem. In fact the venders will tell us that. They put that info out there for another reason. You sir will not ever be in danger of backwshing a 19,000 gal pool with your size filter in your app. Your filtering down to 25 micron with your sand filter, backwashing more will not change that. Backwash aleast once a month becasue that pressure gauge will lie to you about how filty your filter is.

For craps and giggles try backwashing for about a minute, then place in rinse for 10 seconds, the put back in filter.

Reactions: Envieddesigns
"I turn the pump off and take the basket out for cleaning weekly there usually isn’t much debris in that basket to clean out maybe a few grass blades that passed through the skimmer baskets but really not much debris."

I would backwash more, and dump the pump basket less in your case. Tex splash is right just, you could leave it alone and i'm sure you will be fine.

I will say over backwashing a sand filter to much is almost never a problem. In fact the venders will tell us that. They put that info out there for another reason. You sir will not ever be in danger of backwshing a 19,000 gal pool with your size filter in your app. Your filtering down to 25 micron with your sand filter, backwashing more will not change that. Backwash aleast once a month becasue that pressure gauge will lie to you about how filty your filter is.

For craps and giggles try backwashing for about a minute, then place in rinse for 10 seconds, the put back in filter.
Could be right actually the one thing I notice different is when I first started her up for the season I can see a good whirl pool like effect going on in my skimmer closest to the pump. Well both my skimmers were doing it and now the one closest to the pump doesn’t do it as much as it did when it was first started up granted I’m sure she’s holding back since it hasn’t been backwashed since June 20th. One other thing I noticed is my PH still rises even after I’ve treated with the acid and I check the next day not much of a decrease happens could it be stuff in the filter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.