Pressure low after upgrading to VS pump

Mar 27, 2013
Newark, DE
So old pump died, a Pentair Challenger CFII-N1-1 1/2A Pump, I installed a new Hayward W3SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS. I changed out the Slider Valve to a Pentair 261142 Multi-Valve, and the plumbing, the ground pipes to and from the pool are 1.5" and I did the plumbing between those pipes all 2", and removed the Hayward Chlorinator. So the pipes before were 1.5" to the pump, 2" to the Slider, then 1.5" from the slider to the Chlorinator.

My previous pressure was at 15 with New DE, about normal op after opening was 18- 20 and clogged during Opening was around 30 psi.
With the new equipment it is now at 5 psi with new DE and around 15 psi when clogged, currently I am opening it from being a swamp and in the middle of Slamming it.
Water output seems okay, the swirl inside the basket seems to be okay, I am running the pump at about 3,000 RPM, 3450 is the max.

Is this normal for VS pumps? as this is my first one. Or is it because I opened up the flow with the Multi valve and the 2" pipes all around?

You reduced the overall head by increasing the size of the pipe and eliminating some of the components. You're also probably running at a slightly lower flow rate than with the old pump. Might not feel much different, but the pressure will be lower.

I figured, the only thing I kept was Filter. And I have my eyes on SWCG, most likely next season :)
p.s. did anyone else ever do pipe work on a union and forget to put the nut on before you cement the elbow to it LOL oops.

anyone else ever do pipe work on a union and forget to put the nut on before you cement the elbow to it
yup - been there, done that. won't happen a second time ;). Just switched over to a two speed pump myself - my pressure dropped from about 15 to 3-4. Running smoothly and still triggers the flow switch on the SWG - I'm a happy man!

Lower the RPM, the lower PSI. But even at full speed, that pump is smaller than your other pump so the PSI will be lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.