Pressure gauge question

nanobooboo

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 20, 2019
Cottageville SC
I have a trap door installed in the deck and can't see the pressure gauge from the topside. I will get the glycerin gauge for sure, but wondered about using a 90 degree elbow...I want the fitting to come out of the filter, and then attach the gauge so it's facing up toward me. Will that significantly impact the accuracy? I am more inclined to view the PSI as a relative reading versus scientific reading...

I personally prefer stainless steel, but it really doesn't matter with these gauges. However, I recommend you get a 0-30 psi gauge instead of the usual 0-60 psi. You could also get a bottom mount gauge and wouldn't have to have the elbow.

I believe you mean "back mount". ?
Nope, I meant bottom mount. :)

If they're wanting to use an elbow to turn it up to where they can see it from the deck they most likely have a back mount now. Back mount gauges are common on sand filters which they also have. My suggestion to get a bottom mount gauge would allow them to screw it into the multiport and turn the dial up so they could see it above the deck without an elbow.

Nope, I meant bottom mount. :)

If they're wanting to use an elbow to turn it up to where they can see it from the deck they most likely have a back mount now. Back mount gauges are common on sand filters which they also have. My suggestion to get a bottom mount gauge would allow them to screw it into the multiport and turn the dial up so they could see it above the deck without an elbow.
You are correct, I didn't see sand filter.

Great idea...I was making it more difficult than necessary! So will the dial that came on the original gauge come off and be usable on the new glycerin gauge or do I need to shop it further?
Assuming that you're talking about the movable ring around the face of the gauge, the new ones won't come with that, and that one won't transfer to the new gauge. You don't need it anyway, because you want to adhere to the 25% rule of backwashing rather than the 10 psi that the gauge ring is marked with. Most of us clean the filter and then write the pressure down and clean the filter when the pressure rises 25% above the clean pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Assuming that you're talking about the movable ring around the face of the gauge, the new ones won't come with that, and that one won't transfer to the new gauge. You don't need it anyway, because you want to adhere to the 25% rule of backwashing rather than the 10 psi that the gauge ring is marked with. Most of us clean the filter and then write the pressure down and clean the filter when the pressure rises 10% above the clean pressure.
[/QUOTE

You're saying a bottom mount gauge will work just as well in a recessed back mounted filter hole? If so, would I need an extension to clear that recess in the filter lid? And for giggles, anyone know the correct size or are the post fittings standard?
In case my info is missing: Hayward Extreme 1500 series cartridge filter ? Thanks in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.