Pressure Gauge - Mounting Options

Apr 10, 2017
Greetings all,

In opening my pool this season I discovered I have a blown spider gasket. Turns out I need to replace my entire "Hayward SP0714T ProSeries VariFlo Top-Mount Multiport Valve" as the gasket isn't sold separately. My question is, with regard to the pressure gauge, currently it's mounted so the gauge displays upward. That would be ideal if my filter was in a location I could look down on the display. However, the masochist that put this system together decided to tuck everything under the deck making it very difficult to use the valve or see the display. Can the valve be mounted turned 90º so the dial can be read from the side? I can't imagine it would compromise the function, pressure still enters the tube which in turn moves the gear that moves the dial. But perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks for any feedback!



TFP Expert
Feb 3, 2014
Central Minnesota
You'd be fine adding a brass 90 degree fitting between the pump and the gauge. Would it work to remove the gauge, put on teflon tape slightly thicker on the threads so that the gauge doesn't screw in so far and points sideways rather than up?


Well-known member
Apr 6, 2016
Are you sure the spider gasket isn't sold separately? I replaced my spider gasket last year on my Pentair multiport vavle and I was able to just buy the gasket itself (I think it was less than $10). It's a total PIA to get the original gasket all out! Worked perfectly afterwards with no leaking out of my waste line.
Apr 10, 2017
Unfortunately, after extensive research, I've discovered that the Hayward filter I inherited with my pool doesn't have that option. Found the thread outlining that on this site. Just as well, the new valve was only $85 plus it forces me to open everything up and get familiar with my gear. May as well deep clean my sand while I'm at it. Start my first season as a pool owner on the right foot!