Prepping Water Chemistry For Upcoming SWCG

DanF

Silver Supporter
Mar 17, 2019
Chandler, AZ
Hi,

I bit the bullet and ordered the CircuPool RJ45; it should be here today. Plan is to install over the weekend. Although my pool is ~13K gallons and I could have gotten away with the RJ30 I opted for the 45 because I am hoping the cell will last longer and hoping I can benefit from reduced pump runtimes.

I also purchased the K-1766 test kit and tested my "as-is" salt content just now. It came up with 1400 ppm. Does that seem high? I tested it twice just in case. Ever since I drained the pool in March I have been chlorinating using mainly LC and occasionally tabs (more on that later). I'm aware the LC does contain salt but I expected a salt content somewhere between 500 and 1,000. I have been known to overthink. :)

CYA tested at 80. I'm aware that this is high for a non-SWCG pool, but I knew I would be on an extended vacation last month and would need to use tabs. So...this may be a case of dumb luck, since I need CYA of 80 for the SWCG I believe.

Bperry

Gold Supporter
Aug 20, 2020
Knoxville, TN
Mine was about 800 before I started but I had drained and refilled a lot to get CYA down, I suspect 1400 isn’t all that unusual. I wonder if the LC adds a bit being Sodium Hypochlorite?

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Fletcher, OK
That is exactly why we tell everyone to test salt before you add any... All pools are salt water pools and most are just as surprised as you to find out how much salt is already in pool water... I have the SJ 45 and really like that size, it has worked great for 5 seasons now :)

Reactions: Mdragger88 and DanF