Prepping to be away from home/pool

lburr

Jun 15, 2018
Springfield, TN
Hi, all. We will be away for 10 days just as the weather heats up and heads into summer. Trying to figure out the best way to maintain FC levels while we are gone. Pool cover has been off for 4 weeks already and water is clear and clean. Current readings this morning are:

FC 8.5 (after adding 1/2 gallon 10% bleach) The FC is jumping higher than Pool Math suggests this season. Not sure why.
CC <.5
pH 7.2
CYA 40
CH 50
TA 50

Last year (first year with the pool, which came with the house) we had very high CYA after following the pool store's advice/product use, which led me to go online and find TFP. I can't thank you all enough for the information and guidance. I ordered my test kit and bought liquid chlorine and haven't looked back.

I have plenty of bleach (10%) on hand, some leftover Tri Chlor pucks from last summer, and some granular Cal Hypo also left from last season. I have a neighbor who can come check on the pool, maybe empty the skimmer basket and add some pucks, but there's no one I can ask to run the usual tests and get down on their knees to pour in bleach.

Could I raise FC to SLAM level the morning of departure, let that drift down for three days, and then ask the neighbor to add two pucks to the skimmer? Would that get us through 10 days without raising the CYA too much? The CYA is finally in a decent range after very high levels of rain all fall, winter, and spring and lowering the pool level several times in response to the huge rains.

We've been running the Polaris almost constantly since opening, to deal with pollen drop and a lot of dirt from patio powerwashing, Will it be okay to leave the Polaris off for the full time we are away? There is no automatic timer.

Thanks for your input.

You have options. You can indeed raise to SLAM level which might last 2-3 days, then rely on a couple pucks in a floater. Never place pucks in the skimmer though. Increased CYA is not a problem. Or by now you may know your pool's eating habits. If so, just ask the neighbor to add x-amount of bleach every 1-2 days and check the skimmer to ensure it's not full. Just the basics. Your test numbers are such that you don't need to worry about anything.

You have options. You can indeed raise to SLAM level which might last 2-3 days, then rely on a couple pucks in a floater. Never place pucks in the skimmer though. Increased CYA is not a problem. Or by now you may know your pool's eating habits. If so, just ask the neighbor to add x-amount of bleach every 1-2 days and check the skimmer to ensure it's not full. Just the basics. Your test numbers are such that you don't need to worry about anything.
Thanks for your feedback. Fingers crossed.

Raise your FC right before you leave, put 3 or 4 pucks in a floater, have a couple of jugs of chlorine labeled for your helper to add on the 4th and 7th day of your absence. Enjoy yourself and bring back a gift for your helper.

Reactions: afbatts
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.