So with the prospect of Alex coming ashore in SE Texas, I'm looking at the possibility of 12 inches of rain. Typically, when I get one of these heavy rains, the pool turns brown / green and I have to run my pump for about 3 straight days to clear things up. I've always suspected it to be dirt and gunk that washes in from the yard, flower beds and the large Oak tree that hangs over the pool. I've had some folks suggest that it is in fact algae and that raising my chlorine level may prevent the issue. My question is this... is it sufficient to simply stay at the high end of the CYA/chlorine chart recommendations or should I keep it at shock level until the rains pass? Has anyone else ever had a a similar issue and figured out a way to prevent it?