Preparing for a LOT of guests

fkrobertson

Bronze Supporter
May 23, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Hosting a kids birthday/pool party this weekend for a friend. Invitations got a little out of control, and 54 people have RSVP'd! :drown: That does not include the kiddos! Not everyone who is coming will swim, but I expect 20-25 kids in the pool. I maintain 80ppm CYA and 6.5 FC with my SWG. I think I should bump the FC up before the party, but by what method and by how much? Crank the SWG and get to 8.5 FC? Add some bleach a couple hours before guest arrive? What are your thoughts? Happy labor day weekend!

With a CYA of 80 I'd probably pre-load the pool up to 12-14 ppm with bleach or liquid chlorine just before the party and keep the pump running and the SWCG generating. Then test post party and if low, re-load back to 12-14 and see how the FC reacts overnight. I've found with big uses like this, my FC demand can spike for a couple days.

You know - I don't know what kind of capacity your SWCG has so that previous paragraph might be aggressive.

I'm with Cinic... I'd use some liquid chlorine to boost the FC level up a couple hours before the party and just leave the pump on its regular settings. Keep the water moving, y'know? But I wouldn't do anything to increase the % on the SWG. And apres-party just re-test and dose again with liquid chlorine as you may note some cloudiness after that large crew. Using LC is faster and less wear and tear on the SWG.

You gotta know that *someone* is gonna pee in there at some point.... :pth:

I'll bump FC to max rate per CYA chart. I for one, will never ever turn on the SWCG while the pool is occupied. I am very much concern about the amount of gas bubbles coming out of the return pipes and I surely don't want kids to accidentally drink that :puker:

I run the pump for kiddos to enjoy the waterfall but always made sure the SWCG is off prior to swimming. But then again, it's just me. To each his own.

I'll bump FC to max rate per CYA chart. I for one, will never ever turn on the SWCG while the pool is occupied. I am very much concern about the amount of gas bubbles coming out of the return pipes and I surely don't want kids to accidentally drink that :puker:

I run the pump for kiddos to enjoy the waterfall but always made sure the SWCG is off prior to swimming. But then again, it's just me. To each his own.

Do your kids routinely drink water from the pool returns? There is no harm in swimming in the pool with the SWG on, but no one should be drinking any of the water even if there is no SWG.

Gas bubbles from SWG ?
I assumed the chlorine was absorbed into the water column...
If it came out as gas wouldnt a significant % be lost to atmosphere ?

Of course you'll give the standard request to leave the pool in order to pee. Then half way through the party announce that you are going to do a "urine test" which will turn yellow if someone has actually gone in the pool (which will be a standard chlorine test). Watch for the reactions...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do your kids routinely drink water from the pool returns? There is no harm in swimming in the pool with the SWG on, but no one should be drinking any of the water even if there is no SWG.
Not intentionally drink! Yeah, tell that to our grand kids who just love to get in the pool. The youngest are ages 4 & 5 and learning to swim but occasionally ingest pool water and then cough a lot. They love to play in the shallow end where the return pipes are. No denial, I accidentally ingested pool water multiple times during my learning days and at some point we all did, didn't you?

Btw, our pool has 3 return pipes and the high concentration of gas bubbles coming out of it is noticeable even without the sun. The high concentration of gas swirls at the bottom, creating multiple circular shadows as it moves around like a hurricane and breaks in the surface. Adults would not even dare to jump in either!

Sorry OP, not trying to hijack but just sharing my thoughts as observed. It's your pool, your guests, the decision is yours to keep them safe and healthy.

I swim in mine with the swg on all the time. I have smelled a trace of chlorine occasionally when it first comes on but never after it has been on longer than 10 seconds. But I don't drink my pool water, either.

The bubbles are mostly hydrogen, so don't have anyone smoking by the returns. I've never turned mine off so people could swim. If it was chlorine gas escaping, you would potentially kill everyone around the pool when it came on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eight tables and fifty chairs later we're ready to party. Ugh trouble free pool method really made prep tough. I had to put some bleach in. Then float on my raft and enjoy the calm before the storm.
58b50ec9ee121fb19cdda4d8c9984513.jpg
87e46684ce98e0f6a7149ec6614f43f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.