Premature Failure... or junk?

parobk

Oct 7, 2021
PA
Hi all -
I've had my salt water pool for just about 3 years now. Aside from other things, the following pump just seized up this past month... starting whirring real loud, then quit. From the photos, it seems water must've been leaking from somewhere, not visible from the top, nor do I inspect it that often to notice. This pump only runs maybe twice/wk on a schedule when I use my pressure-based cleaner. Most times I rely on my Dolphin. Comments? Is this normal, or just a crappy pump. I already replaced with the other shown, but also please feel free to comment on that since the one they shipped is slightly different, but works all the same.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20211004_163419825.jpg
    IMG_20211004_163419825.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20211004_163356846.jpg
    IMG_20211004_163356846.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20211004_163407483.jpg
    IMG_20211004_163407483.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20211004_163443458.jpg
    IMG_20211004_163443458.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 34
Your old booster pump was rated at 3/4HP with a 1.67 service factor (SF) while the replacement is a 1HP pump with a 1.25 SF. So they they have the same total horsepower (THP = HP X S.F.). Though I would think the impellar would need to be different. @JamesW or @mas985 are the pump experts.

definitely looks like a seal is leaking though and water is making it out of the wet end and onto the motor.

@JamesW - If I understand the OP correctly then I think the only thing that was changed was the motor, wet end is the same. I could be wrong.

@parobk

If you have a Dolphin robot then there is almost no need to run a pressure cleaner. Pressure cleaners use (waste) huge amounts of energy for very sub-par cleaning. You should just get rid of the cleaner and booster pump all together. The plumbing for the wall connection can simple be added to the return lines or it can be sealed up.

I get that the old motor was a PB4-60 and the new one is MaxFlo. But if you look at the pictures I believe they just put the MaxFlo motor in place of the dead PB4-60 motor. They did not change any of the plumbing or wet end of the pressure booster pump.

Maybe the OP can post some wide angle shots of the entire setup before and after the pump change.

I get that the old motor was a PB4-60 and the new one is MaxFlo. But if you look at the pictures I believe they just put the MaxFlo motor in place of the dead PB4-60 motor. They did not change any of the plumbing or wet end of the pressure booster pump.

Maybe the OP can post some wide angle shots of the entire setup before and after the pump change.

The pics show the old motor to be a Hayward 6060 (I have the same one).

PB4-60 is a Polaris booster pump model.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was asking the question because I was wondering if the old motor that is 3/4HP with a 1.67 s.f. is swappable with a motor that is 1HP and an s.f. of 1.25. Same total HP.

What make and model?

Also, the new pump is not bonded.

View attachment 376385
Should have added pressure cleaner/model. It's a Hayward Phantom - nightmare of a cleaner that constantly breaks down, but only one (that I know of) that switches between "BOT", "TOP" and "AUTO". I leave it on "TOP" and old use it periodically after weedwacking close to the pool or in (Sping/Fall), when leaves from nearby trees are my nemesis! It's skimming performance is great. But others are right, the Dolphin does a much better job at cleaning overall, with less hassle and no pumps necessary. The pool is just under 1000ft2 or 40,000 gal. Also, I did see the ground connector - same way the original PB left it. I obviously fixed it (after I took the photos)

This is correct - there was no reason to touch the wet end. I bought a replacement motor only (which did involve tranferring the impeller). Although I specified the model (6060) that I had, they sent a MaxFlow as the replacement. Lined right up and pressure at the cleaner is exactly the same at about 20-23 psi.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.