Preferred valve actuator brand

dswwpb

Jun 22, 2017
West Palm Beach, FL
I have a two year old 24 volt Intermatic Jandy valve actuator that is slowly but surely going bad. Previously had a Jandy brand actuator that lasted over 20 years. Are the Jandy brand actuators more reliable than the Intermatics or was this just bad luck? What brands are the preferred/most reliable actuators?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
No one has done a randomized study of actuator life span.

We don’t hear about many folks using the Intermatic brand of actuators. What is going bad with yours after 2 years?

dswwpb

Jun 22, 2017
West Palm Beach, FL
Using it to control a solar heating system. Been noticing sometimes it doesn't come on or go off when the solar controller tells it to. If I flip the switch on the side back and forth it will then start to work.

dswwpb

Jun 22, 2017
West Palm Beach, FL
Yes I've replaced them on other actuators but the problem isn't that the actuator isn't stopping in the correct position, it's that it simply doesn't work at all until that little switch on the side is moved back and forth. It would seem like the problem is that outside switch not the micro switches inside. Do you agree?

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
A new Jandy JVA isn't terribly expensive and relatively easy to replace. I would just get a new Jandy JVA and call it a day.

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Would you recommend the Jandy brand over Intermatic or Hayward?

Seems like that is what most people have even those with non-Jandy systems. But I have no experience with anything but Jandy.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.