Pre-dissolve Cal Hypo in water - feed in stenner pump?

Agcivengineer

Oct 18, 2020
Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a fairly new in ground, pebble tec plaster pool pool about 1.5 months old. I was given a free bucket of cal hypo. I just added a stenner pump to feed liquid chlorine. However, my CH is about 150, so id like to use cal hypo pre-dissolved with water in a 35 gallon bucket to get the CH up (and use free chlorine) until CH is higher.

Can i pre-dissolve Cal - Hypo with water and store it in my 35 gallon bucket, then feed it into my pool through the stenner pump, in the same way i will eventually feed liquid chlorine?

Once its empty, ill clean the tubes with water and switch to liquid chlorine.

Would this create any problems?

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio
Absolutely do not do this!

Ok, wanted to start with that. On to the explanation. And welcome to TFP!

Calcium hypochlorite has an exothermic reaction, so it's never a good idea to pre-dissolve it. Also the reason that liquid chlorine has such a low pH is that it needs that to prevent it from outgassing quickly. Since the cal-hypo liquid you create will not be at a high pH it will outgas very quickly. This will cause it to weaken very quickly, which is bad, but also the chlorine gas will corrode any metal in the area.

Please add cal-hypo directly to the pool.

Agcivengineer

Oct 18, 2020
Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Thanks! Ive been adding the Cal Hypo into a 5 gallon bucket of water and then putting into the pool. Its worked quite well so far. I was hoping to automate this a bit until i begin using the liquid chlorine. Ill keep with this.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.