Power ipad and raspberry pi from controller

dshuster

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Hunt Valley, MD
My LCD went bad on my Jandy OneTouch and I decided to replace it with Aqualinkd with a raspberry pi. I am going to remove the Jandy OneTouch and put an ipad in its place on the wall. I got everything to work except I am cannot get power to the ipad.

I bought the following to power my ipad air:
www.amazon.com/dp/B08R64L68D?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

It will power the raspberry pi but not the ipad air. It seems to not have enough output power to have the ipad work. At the controller box, I get 9.95 VDC and at the OneTouch keypad, I get 9.87 VDC.

I also have a bundle of wires coming from my controller box that is not being used, they are disconnected, and was wondering if I could use a pair of them to power the ipad? I am not sure if I can connect/convert a 120v from the pool box or somewhere on the controller board to give it power back to the house where the jandy keypad is located.

I was wondering if anyone got there ipad to be powered from the pool controller box.

Thanks
-Dimitry

I'm not familiar with your setup but if you have a multi-meter check the loose wires and see if any of them are 120v. If they are 120v you'll just need a converter, or you could wire up a regular wall outlet and plug a normal plug adapter to power the iPad.

Very cool use of a raspberry pi. Do you keep the RPI outside? I've thought about installing a RPI on my VS pump but I think it would be too hot outside.

I put the raspberry inside the house. The controller at the bottom of the hill has a bundle of 16 low voltage conductor cables running to the house. Similar to this:1624734128317.png

I cannot figure out how to convert 120VAC or is there something on the board that will give me 12 VDC.

I also connected www.amazon.com/dp/B08R64L68D?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details to a 12VDC and the ipad started but when I connect to the output from the controller that gives 9.98VDC, it will not give power to the ipad.

Thanks
-Dimitry
1624734128317.png

Reactions: Cwiggs
I figured it out. I found an old power supply that outputted 12VDC. I wired one end to120VAC in the pool box and attached the other end to the low voltage cables going to the house. Then I connected the USB cable converter to the low voltage cables.

Reactions: Cwiggs
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.