Post salt chemicals off

Zamsaf

May 2, 2018
Central fl
It’s been 30 days and I’ve only added Ma and chlorine so far. Yesterday they put salt in and I wanted to post my chemical results here for feedback on what to do

Cl 5
Br 10
Ph 6.8
FC 4.5 ppm
CC 0

Calcium hardness 825
TA 50
Cya 0

The pool water needs CYA. Get 30 ppm in the water soon.

Is that the real CH? Very high.

Have you read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School? In each parameter, there is a suggested level. read through those and see if your results are within the guidelines.

What does your water look like?

You will need acid, stabilizer, and some chlorine. Might need baking soda as TA is getting low. They have added too much acid.

Reactions: Zamsaf
When you have time, test your fill water. Always a good number to have.

You get a lot of rain, the CH should come down with overflow due to rain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) or panty hose and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Use your Poolmath. Have you entered your current test results? Do that, touch the CYA in Overview, and use that screen to determine how much stabilizer is needed.

Reactions: Zamsaf
Zam,

What is the salt level in your pool? You'll really need a Taylor K1766 test kit for that. Can you please add the swg model number? You'll want to increase CYA to be within the range for salt pools eventually. My guess is that Marty wants to make sure you don't need a SLAM before you raise it since that just requires a lot more chlorine.

Chris

Thanks pool math says the recommended range is 60-90 but earlier you mentioned 30 ppm. Which one do I go by?
Sneak up on your final number. Once you have dissolved and waited 24 hours, test your CYA level. Then, if all is good with your water, raise it to 70 ppm using the same process.

If you are putting the sock(s) in the skimmer, then run your pump continuously until they are dissolved. Squeeze them really good after they have been in the water a while. They will disperse quickly.

Zam,

What is the salt level in your pool? You'll really need a Taylor K1766 test kit for that. Can you please add the swg model number? You'll want to increase CYA to be within the range for salt pools eventually. My guess is that Marty wants to make sure you don't need a SLAM before you raise it since that just requires a lot more chlorine.

Chris

thank you. I have the TF100. I don’t think that measures salt

Sneak up on your final number. Once you have dissolved and waited 24 hours, test your CYA level. Then, if all is good with your water, raise it to 70 ppm using the same process.

If you are putting the sock(s) in the skimmer, then run your pump continuously until they are dissolved. Squeeze them really good after they have been in the water a while. They will disperse quickly.

thank you. You’ve been a tremendous help. I put it in a sock in the skimmer and it all dissolved over the last few hours. I’m leaving my pump on for another few hours.

anything else that I need to do for my chemicals? My water is clean and clear I’m just trying to get everything perfect so I can keep it clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.