Possible Iron Stain at Filler Inlet

Sep 2, 2015
PLEASANTON, CA
Would love some help here if anyone has seen this before. I recently developed what I think is iron staining at the inlet of my pool filler. I can scrub the tile with green scotchbrite but the pebble tec is hard to clean.

History:
  • I built the pool about 7 years ago and have been maintaining it via TFP methods ever since.
  • no autofiller
  • fill piping is pvc with manual operated brass aqualine valve
  • no iron staining anywhere else
Any chance this is leeching from rebar? Or more likely from fill water all of a sudden containing more iron. (No other staining inside house) Should I add a metal sequestrant?

Thanks so much!

FC 4
Alk 100
pH 7.5
CH 500
Salt 3000
CYA 40

20k Gallon w/ spa, Hayward Goldline, Salt, Pebble Tec, Polaris with boost pump

Attachments

• IMG_20220331_153220.jpg
    IMG_20220331_153220.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 14
Can you show a picture of the filler valve and where it’s getting water from? I’d like to see the plumbing job there.

Also, you can cleanup the tile and pebbletek with some crushed up vitamin C tablets in a thin sock or nylon. Just rub the area with it and the iron will dissolve.

Can you show a picture of the filler valve and where it’s getting water from? I’d like to see the plumbing job there.
Thanks! Here is a picture of the valve. The supply comes from our city water connection prior to it entering the house. I will try the vitamin C. I believe the pool builder put a sequestrant during startup 7 years ago but I have never added since then. Thanks again!

Attachments

• -1968568006535302261.jpg
    -1968568006535302261.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 7
I asked about the valve because I was wondering if someone accidentally put some galvanized pipe somewhere in contact with the brass. When my pool was built, the plumbing sun had a kid with him doing a lot of the little jobs. When they installed the tee off one my spigots for the auto fill, the kid replaced a brass nipple with a longer galvanized steel nipple to lengthen the pipe’s reach. He then screwed a brass valve directly onto the galvanized pipe. 5 years later the spigot developed a nice leak … the galvanized pipe all but disintegrated internally. The funny part was I never put 2 & 2 together with that spigot when I noticed it was the only one that would give off a gush of rusty water every time I turned it on.

I would a little more digging to figure out what the supply line is made of and where it joins to the main. Someone may have used a piece of galvanized pipe or a galvanized fitting somewhere and the galvanic corrosion is slowly eroding it away. It’s clearly coming from the supply pipe so you need to trace it back from there.

thanks, I know my main is PVC and so is the filler line. Cant rule out a metal fitting somewhere underground but would be nearly impossible to find without digging up my yard and landscaping. Considering capping off the filler line and just filling with a hose from the spigot on the house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.