Possible FYI Regarding Walmart Chlorine

niteshift38

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2017
Hamburg/NY
Still new to posting, but a long time following TFP. I have run into something interesting ... I was averaging FC usage between 1.5 and 2.5ppm's per day using Walmart Bleach (8.25%). They have had a good deal on Walmart Chlorinating Liquid (10%), so I have been using that the past 2 weeks (exp. dates are fine). After adding regularly as per PoolMath, I keep finding my FC higher than anticipated and I'm using less than .5ppm FC/day since using their chlorine. Have had a bit of rain and clouds, but mostly sunny and moderate swimmer usage. Here's my recent numbers and what I found out:

6/26
FC - 6.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.4
TA - 100
CH - 210
CYA -40
TEMP - 78

6/27
Added 1/2gal of Walmart Chlorinating Liquid at 8am

6/28
FC -9.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.4
Temp - 74

(Didn't test TA, CH, or CYA because they have been the same for the past several weeks)

My pool is still crystal clear :D (thanks to TFP!!!) ... It doesn't make sense using hardly any chlorine, BUT ... If I plug the 12.5% number in PoolMath as opposed to the 10%, it makes sense :cool: ... It doesn't effect me or my pool, but it COULD effect someone doing a SLAM (wasting $$$). Maybe a POSSIBLE heads up to someone doing a SLAM! ... So the label may be off!!! Here's pics of the bottle:

Bottle.jpg

Ingredients.jpg

Don't know if I'm missing something, or possibly helping someone save $$$ down the road!!! ... As always, this is the ONLY place to reference or use to take control of your own pool ... Thanks loads :D

How confident of your pool volume are you based on other dosing and testing prior to this? Shoukd be very close with an AG Pool.

What's the date on the bottle?

Either way, if its is little higher than 10, that can only be good! :)

The label isn't off, liquid chlorine is manufactured at a higher percentage than it is advertised as because the manufacturers know that it will degrade. The numbers on the bottom "17 144" means that it was manufactured on the 144th day of 2017, which is May 24th. So it is relatively fresh and likely stored in a climate controlled area. Remember that the opposite happens as well, if it is older and/or stored in a hot warehouse or outside then it can come in lower than 10% as well. But yep, it is always nice to find stuff even fresher than expected! :)

Confident on volume (52" walls kept approximately 4" below top of a 24' dia. AG) , and I agree on it's ok to be a little higher on % (just seemed weird). EXP on the bottle is 17 144 or 5/24/17

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks ALL ... As you said, it's refreshing to see something store bought better than expected :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.