Possible chemical contamination from painting pool steps

Allen makes a good point. May be best just to let the steps be a little scuffed. May not be all that noticeable under water anyway. Vinyl ester resin is probably on the top coat of the fiberglass but why guess and then potentially have a problem again? Worst case is you get some bubbling of the fiberglass before the season ends. If this happens and becomes a problem you can deal with it then or just leave it. Most likely won't if it behaves like a boat bottom. This process normally takes a year or more.

Allen makes a good point. May be best just to let the steps be a little scuffed. May not be all that noticeable under water anyway. Vinyl ester resin is probably on the top coat of the fiberglass but why guess and then potentially have a problem again? Worst case is you get some bubbling of the fiberglass before the season ends. If this happens and becomes a problem you can deal with it then or just leave it. Most likely won't if it behaves like a boat bottom. This process normally takes a year or more.
So should I drain it down, completely? Or just enough to scuff up the steps.... I want to take a sample to the pool store to check for metals

You have to drain down as much as you can to get as much of the copper in the water out as possible.

It did look really nice for a while.......

The steps were cracked when I got the house, I patched with fiberglass, it looked really bad so I wanted to make it look nice

It's kind of ironic that I chose a paint that literally puts copper into the water. Good grief, i wasted all that chlorine

Test strips are never very accurate.

How to Test for Copper In Pool Water
Taylor Technologies has the K-1264 test kit for copper and iron. It is expensive if you are going to use it one time.

Find a pool store that can do a "total copper" test, not just a "free copper" test. Free copper is just the amount of copper ions in solution but does not typically include copper that is sequestered by a metal sequestrant chemical. Total copper uses an acid digestion step which frees up all the copper in solutions and gives you a total amount.

Copper tests only test for copper in the water. So, any copper in stains or that is sequestered will not show up on a "free copper" test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My FC was high (because I'm slamming) so they recommended I put in something to neutralize the chlorine, lol I can't believe they'd recommend that, that really blows my mind. Instead of waiting for it to go down by itself, they want you to waste money on something that'll use it up quickly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.