Porcelain tile

You can certainly use tile as a finished surface on a "countertop".

A 1/4" layer of "cement board" should be used between the tile and the framing of the kitchen.

Porcelain tile is maybe the best tile to use because it is close to water proof and, installed properly, the freeze-thaw cycle will have no affect.

What do you mean by "cover"? If it's the countertop you're referring to, then yes. I used 1/2" cement board under my counter top, thinset, and then tile. If by "cover" you're talking about the sides of the base, I suppose you could do that too, but it will cost a lot more and much more labor than if you just used Dryvit to finish the base sides.

Absolutely. Used often for garage floors in high end automobile service shops in the Northeast where it is subject to daily freeze-thaw cycles. If you have significant temperature swings (greater than 20 degs/day) then a crack isolation membrane is advised.
Ver, what is a crack isolation membrane?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.