Porcelain Coping

mlane226

Sep 6, 2020
Austin, TX
Please tell me the good, the bad and the ugly about porcelain coping. We’ve had gunite for 2 weeks and I finally found a coping I love and it’s porcelain. I’m concerned about it being slippery and/or too hot in the sun. We’re in central Texas with no outdoor shade and small kids. Here is a picture of the matching porcelain tile that will wrap the spa with our waterline tile. The deck will be concrete with an acrylic cooling coat. Help! I am crippled with indecision.

Attachments

• 201B54C7-264D-4B5C-B2D5-0B27E10D437E.jpeg
    201B54C7-264D-4B5C-B2D5-0B27E10D437E.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 116
  • 1C52AAD5-49B0-47EF-A153-B778C6B81423.png
    1C52AAD5-49B0-47EF-A153-B778C6B81423.png
    259 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
PIck up a piece and take it home. Have a hose running over it and put your bare foot on it and see how slippery it is. Let it sit in the sun without the water and do the same thing. It sure is pretty so I hope it works out!

PIck up a piece and take it home. Have a hose running over it and put your bare foot on it and see how slippery it is. Let it sit in the sun without the water and do the same thing. It sure is pretty so I hope it works out!
This is a great idea! I know the March sun has nothing on our August sun but I do have a travertine sample I can compare it to for heat and slickness while wet.

Reactions: kimkats
The more I've read about porcelain pavers and coping the more I think it's a superior product. I'm 99% in on the pavers at this point on my project. I just don't see any downside at all aside from price.
I also cannot see a downside aside from price. Especially with a salt water pool. That’s why I feel like I must be missing something. ;)

My parents replace the leuders coping on their pool every 5-6 years. I have zero interest in that mess and expense.

It’s stunning. And I feel so relieved you don’t find it slick when wet. I found one source saying the heat is comparable with concrete and other natural stones in a light color. I think I’m sold on porcelain!
they are much better than pavers . i am NY so our heat is not as bad. i have full size tile sample sitting in my backyard for past few months and they have been through quite a bit and looks brand new. i also wet it few times and walked barefoot, not slippery at all. also in high heat they felt cooler than paver which i had sitting next to it.

Reactions: mlane226
How does porcelain coping compare in price to stone? We haven't heard pool builders mention it as an option.
It was more expensive than travertine with my vendor. However, we did not chose it for coping because it is only 2cm thick and could not be placed as coping with an overhang. (Too thin and susceptible to breaking.) It can be laid flush with the waterline tile, however, we have a deep end and small kids that need an overhang to grip on to. The overhang will also help redirect water back into the pool with all the splashing.

Reactions: Indeeph2o

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It was more expensive than travertine with my vendor. However, we did not chose it for coping because it is only 2cm thick and could not be placed as coping with an overhang. (Too thin and susceptible to breaking.) It can be laid flush with the waterline tile, however, we have a deep end and small kids that need an overhang to grip on to. The overhang will also help redirect water back into the pool with all the splashing.

Well make that two of us. I nixed it based on how thin it was. Didn't like the look wanting something a bit meatier. Instead went with a square profile precast coping.

Reactions: mlane226
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.