Ps6fsu

Jul 12, 2021
Wilmington, DE
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We had our pool built in the spring and it was finally completed in early June. When I got home from work I was excited to see the new plaster finish but was a bit disappointed in how inconsistent it was. There are dark spots, streaks, drips, etc. In one spot the finish is so course that my kids are cutting their feet on the bottom. I called the PB and they sent out the plaster guys to look at it. He told me it was staining and wants to do an acid wash without draining the pool. Is this normal? These spots were here before it was even filled. Am I being to picky? The finish is a Quartz rebranded CLI Industies product called Sunstone Select. Ours is the Onyx color.

20210609_145538.jpg
Below is the very coarse spot. We had to buy watershoes for the kids.
20210609_145616.jpg

Last edited:
Tough to get good pics now with sun but here is what it looks like currently.

Attachments

• 20210928_142523.jpg
    20210928_142523.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 20210928_142510.jpg
    20210928_142510.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 20210928_142456.jpg
    20210928_142456.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 119
Have your PB sand the plaster with 80/100 grit wet/dry sandpaper to smooth the plaster. It is much easier on your plaster then an acid bath which will thin out your plaster.

If you proceed with an acid wash I hope you installed a heater bypass so acidic water does not damage your heater.

Forewarning that I am completely untrained and you shouldn't listen to me.

Both that streaking on the steps and the rough spot look to me like something liquid-induced. The edge around the dark spot, which I'm assuming is the rough spot, looks like the edge of a water pool or something. I know this may be difficult to do now, but bubble levels still work underwater. If you put a level across that, is it sunken compared to the surrounding area?

Have your PB sand the plaster with 80/100 grit wet/dry sandpaper to smooth the plaster. It is much easier on your plaster then an acid bath which will thin out your plaster.

If you proceed with an acid wash I hope you installed a heater bypass so acidic water does not damage your heater.

Thanks for the info. I will confirm during daylight tomorrow but i believe i do have a bypass. However, i am not sure I want this treatment now that I fully understand the process.

Forewarning that I am completely untrained and you shouldn't listen to me.

Both that streaking on the steps and the rough spot look to me like something liquid-induced. The edge around the dark spot, which I'm assuming is the rough spot, looks like the edge of a water pool or something. I know this may be difficult to do now, but bubble levels still work underwater. If you put a level across that, is it sunken compared to the surrounding area?
I think you are correct about the rough spot. Water always seemed to pool there before the plaster was even applied.

So it turn out I do not have a bypass to completely bypass the heater. I have a bypass for excess water flow to bypass the heater only (see pic). So I assume that I should insist on not doing an acid bath?

External_Bypass_Front_Alternate-e1570126328505.jpg

As ajw22 mentioned above, it would be best to have the plaster finish lightly sanded and polished. Most plasterers have power sanders that can make quick work on those problem areas. I strongly suggest that you push for this remedy as opposed to any acid treatments, which will, imo, make matters worse, such as making the surface rougher and perhaps cause additional discolorations that generally develop afterwards. The pool will need to be drained to sand the pool. It can be done before winter sets in, or can wait until next spring safely.

Reactions: Ps6fsu
So I talked to the plaster guy today and told him my concerns about the acid bath. He claims they plug all skimmers and returns before starting and then uses his own external pump to circulate water. I asked about sanding and he said they could do in spring but I would have to negotiate with PB about cost of refilling. Of course he hinted towards this being my fault bc the PH was at 8 when he tested the water. I have kept around 7.6 the entire season. In order to do that I need to dump at least a half gallon of muriatic acid per week. I had ran out earlier in the week and couldn't get to the store until the weekend. He just happened to show up at the house while I was at the store buying more. Still don't know why my PH level matters when the spots in question existed prior to filling. Took additional pictures at night to try and make it clearer what I'm talking about. The course spot is very rough and even pitted a bit. This was here before fill and needs to be sanded down for sure. The bleach looking spots in the deep end and the streaks were there before fill as well. Not sure what can be done to about these. The dark spot in the deep end by the drain I honestly don't see in the pre-fill pictures or remember seeing it. So it's more than likely it showed up after fill.

Attachments

• 20211004_221255.jpg
    20211004_221255.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20211004_232832.jpg
    20211004_232832.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20211004_221159.jpg
    20211004_221159.jpg
    709.3 KB · Views: 48
Plaster guy story about the pH is BS with no scientific basis.

Reactions: Ps6fsu

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What did you end up doing here? I am considering similar remedies in my new plaster job. I have white spots just like you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.