Poolside Plants

Seeing as that swatch of mulch is approximately 4ft away, (hard to tell from the pictures) a row of arborvitaes on the left and right side of your pool would offer you some privacy once fully matured.
By planting them closer to the pool, (instead of along the fence) when they grow to their mature height, usually 12-14ft, your neighbors won’t be able to see you easily. (It’s sort of like taking a piece of paper and holding it in front of your face, you can’t really see much around it. Now take that piece of paper and hold it at arms length, now you can see around it):cheers:
Exactly. This is what they do at Disneyworld and Disneyland, especially, since Annaheim has sewn them in. That close will still provide a nice screen.

If you still have some cash left, you might consider getting a local landscape architect for help. If he knows your requirements, he (she) can draw a plan to accomplish what you need. In the long run it might save you money and problems. We did it the other way--got the landscape architect before the pool, but he put in a place holder for the pool, and his plants were all pool friendly. In a couple cases, we deviated from his recommended plants. Our mistake.

If you still have some cash left, you might consider getting a local landscape architect for help. If he knows your requirements, he (she) can draw a plan to accomplish what you need. In the long run it might save you money and problems. We did it the other way--got the landscape architect before the pool, but he put in a place holder for the pool, and his plants were all pool friendly. In a couple cases, we deviated from his recommended plants. Our mistake.

This might be a good plan. The last time we did this, we got stuck with someone who wouldn't furnish the plan if we didn't use them to execute it. We'll be more careful if we go this way again.

Also of consideration is nitrates getting onto the pool. Plantings that don't need much fertilizer would be on my list of priorities.

I'm totally on board with this. I'm a fan of xeriscaping: low maintenance, perennial, self sustaining plants.

How about some of the ornamental grasses to hide the equip? Or even a few arborvitae trees in front of it. I’ve got a similar situation. We planted a couple of southern lace hinoki cypress. I am regretting the placement of my equipment now. May end up building some type of attractive fencing barrier.

Depending on climate and how much shade is there, Hostas might do well. Looks like you have a great deal of area to fill, so some variety in types, sizes and height might do well.

Maybe some stepping stones for easy walking through to the pool equipment ?

Boxwoods would make a nice hedge if you dont mind the smell.

Just got done planting around ours with yuccas of 2 types, windmill palms, nandinas and a couple weeping redbuds. Hope it all survives.

Attachments

• 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 4 - Copy.jpg
    4 - Copy.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 5 - Copy.jpg
    5 - Copy.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: Leik
Looks nice! If you can kill the yuccas, you get a reward. They are tough. That looks like Yucca Color Guard. Though my only suggestion is to cut off the yucca flower stalks immediately after blooming so they don't go to seed. The seed production process does sap them of energy which is especially needed for young transplants.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Didn't know that about the yucca flower stalks, we were trying to stay with things that need close to the same amount of water.
The concrete was poured through a curbing machine then hand formed and stained to look somewhat natural.

We installed our pool in the fall with a large stamped concrete patio and a retaining wall. On 3 sides of the patio (those without the wall) we have about 2' of mulch surrounding the patio. I'm looking for recommendations for best plants and shrubbery for this area. We live in NC, so while we have winter it's usually relatively mild or with a few storms. We have a long summer season.

I'm also looking for recommendations about plantings that can hide the equipment area.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Thank you!
You cannot go wrong with Hostas. Also, try mint (in planters), lemongrass, and calladiums.

Another nice plant are Musa Basjoo, aka cold hardy bananas. Very easy to grow, but give them room as they can get very big. Personally I don't bother to hide my filter equipment, I am proud of it and want it to be seen, probably because I am a geahead LOL.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.