Pool won't hold chlorine

poolgirl-30

Apr 22, 2019
Liberal, MO
We drained our 25,000 gallon pool and started with fresh water. It's been open a week and I cannot get a chlorine reading at all. Luckily it is still colder here so no trouble yet. The pool company we use said they put stabilizer in since it was fresh water. Any suggestions? Chlorine tabs are not going down. Water is flowing into and out of the chlorinator.

We drained our 25,000 gallon pool and started with fresh water. It's been open a week and I cannot get a chlorine reading at all. Luckily it is still colder here so no trouble yet. The pool company we use said they put stabilizer in since it was fresh water. Any suggestions? Chlorine tabs are not going down. Water is flowing into and out of the chlorinator.
Welcome fellow midwestern'r ;)

If you're willing to handle the testing & maintaining of your pool, TFP methods save you lots of hassle & $$ over the long & short-term of pool ownership!

Can you add your pool & equipment info to your signature please?

Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine now.
Get 30 ppm worth of CYA dissolving now using the sock method.
Follow the FC/CYA Levels based on 30 ppm CYA once you have it dissolving. Liquid chlorine must be added daily.
Add muriatic acid to lower your pH to 7.6. Test that every other day or so as your TA will push the pH up.

Reactions: poolgirl-30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you can stop using the pucks, that would be better long term, how many are in the dispenser? ((Use PoolMath to figure out how much CYA will be added))
Do you have any local convenience stores that you can go grab plain cleaning bleach? (it will be 6% strength) (no scents, not splashless, not easy pour, etc)
Until you can make a trip to Walmart for some Liquid Chlorine 10% Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid - Walmart.com

What’s the formula for calculating ppm?
Use PoolMath, enter your pool's dimensions and the details in the lower section, and you have 2 options, the Now & Goal and the "If I add" section.
:edit: I see you posted an APP screenshot, if you enter your pool details in the app, it should tell you how much to dose, I prefer the PoolPal app myself (but no iOS) :)

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.